Electric or manual

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Terrapin691, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Terrapin691

Terrapin691 New Member

Currently have beard and intend to keep... Obviously need to shave cheek area, neck,, etc. and was wondering 2 things ..

1. What's cheaper in the long run? Electric or Gillette Pro glide?

2. If electric is the way to go .. Any recommendations for the philips one blade?

Thanks

2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Most here are using more traditional shaving tools, like double edge razors, straight razors etc. This makes shaving more like a hobby for us. Considering that you can buy one double edge blade for $0.10 - $0.20 it is by far the cheapest solution, at least if you can stay away from making it a hobby because then the razors, brushes etc will somehow multiply and the costs too.

When it comes to cartridges, in general Gillette Guard are liked and they are very affordable through ebay from India. About $26 will get you 100 cartridges. We have some at home and they really give a decent shave.

Before I switched to more traditional tools I used Gillette Fusion and Gillette's claim of how long they last is just ridiculous. At most one can use one catridge for a week, then already it begins to tug. Of course if one is greedy, one could continue with the torture and still get shaves. I also really hated how they clog, as the gaps between the blades are so narrow.

I do not have any experience of Philips OneBlade, but their claims are also ridiculous: "Blade lasts up to 4 months. (For best shaving experience. Based on 2 full shaves per week. Actual results may vary.)". This means one blade is lasting at most one month of every day shaving.

Shaver X likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Easiest and cheapest is probably to learn a safety razor.

4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

If youre going to go cart, Id probably go with the Mach 3. You dont need any more than 3 blades anyways and theyre a bit more affordable than the Fusions. Harry's is another option too, as theyre fairly cheap for a cart but I found the blades were too close together and it clogged a lot on me.
    Cheapest of all is going to be a DE or a straight if you can hone it yourself.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The one blade is crap. Doesn't work well.

I have electric trimmers for my beard, but usually use manual clippers. It takes longer, but is less messy and far more satisfying.
    [​IMG]

Frijolero and Brickman301 like this.
  6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Electric, and pretty much anything else other than a ProGlide. Fusion ProGlide's are dirt cheap when initially purchased, but outrageously expensive when you go to purchase replacement cartridges. That holds true even for the store brand cartridges. To make things worse, many stores keep the cartridges locked up. You have to go find a sales clerk to unlock the display to get cartridges. Even an expensive premium electric, such as a Braun, will be lower cost over the long run. The Remington Smart Edge is another, more affordable option.

An interesting concept, although I am not sure I see the point in it. A regular electric shaver might be a much better option.

If your primary goal is to get a great shave at a great price, then the answer is easy:

Learn how to use a safety razor

Safety razors are fairly easy to master. Heck, all the people here learned how to use one, so you can too if you want. I know safety razors might seem a bit intimidating at first, but they are not really. I used an electric razor for over 30 years, sometimes using a Trac II for a year or two. Both worked pretty well for me, sometimes exceedingly well. Unlike some people here, I am not biased against these razor types based on performance alone. In the end, it came down to a matter of cost and value for the money.

Electric razors are convenient and the better models can consistently deliver close, smooth shaves. The cutting heads and foils need to be replaced every so often, which isn't cheap. The battery needs to be replaced every few years, which definitely is not cheap. Even so, electrics are still a less expensive option that using insanely overpriced Fusion cartridges. With a safety razor, I can buy a 100 box of double edge blades for $25 that will last me about two years. I use a Gillette Slim razor, but there are plenty of others that are very good, too, such as the Edwin Jagger DE89, the Parker Variant, and quite a few others. Fantastic shaves, fancy razor, and dirt cheap cost. It doesn't get much better than that. That is why I recommended learning to use a safety razor. If you are set on a cartridge or electric, I recommend an electric, based on long term cost and value for the money.

PanChango and Frijolero like this.
  7. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Gilette people will tell you get a fusion, braun will tell get a electric one, maybe an electric wet shaving machine, philips will sell the one blade, or the classic electric shaver, over here people will say DE or straigth, i will say straigth,....

Cheap?
    A €10 straigth, a €10 strop, a €10 finishing stone, a €5 brush and €10 of soap is cheap and with some replacement soap after a few years it can last a lifetime. But the chance you stay with the one soap, brush, razor ,...???

Electric is cheap in the long run, but it gave me razorburn and raw shavings.
    Cartridge and canned goo is ok if you shave daily, but expensive in the long run and i got irritation quite often, stopping me from shaving daily, so i got clumped up cartridges.

Straigth soes it for me, but i think i bougth more straights and soaps in one year than cartridges and canned go the rest of my life!

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

A good DE razor is nice. Also, consider a Schick razor as the flat profile works great for trimming close to the beard. Works for me on my goatee.

Arnout likes this.