Eleven months ago...

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by '65 G-Slim, Oct 20, 2016.

1. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

...when I joined TSD, I had a '65 Slim and a handful of (age unknown) women's razors and disposables. I soon contracted RAD, and my last purchase (the GEM 1912 in the wood case) was #50. I have since given most to my son (to hold for my middle grandson until he's old enough to use 'em), and am down to 12.
    [​IMG]
    Out of these, I will keep the best (maybe two of the best each) single-edge, double-edge, and injector. He'll get those when I croak. I believe I have acquired a good representation of 20th Century shaving utensils, from the 1917 Single Ring to the Schick Adjustable. Some mint, some not so mint, but all usable. My son has discovered the joy of old-school wet shaving, finding his Excalibur in the heavy-handled post-war Tech. (He has also been the recipient of a ton of blades, a badger brush, a couple of pucks of Williams, and a glass mug, suitable for either working up a lather or indulging in a morning cup of joe. Or both.)

I think he's hooked; he's also planning on inflicting this malady on his three boys. It's a good feeling, seeing the Old Ways being passed down.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Good for you. I have a couple of razors that I'm planning on giving my son. He's 13 and I've already kind of started planting the seed in his head. I have his great grandfathers slim adjustable that I plan on handing down to him. It should be his as it's my wife's grandfather.

3. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

That is awesome.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

He's into the old stuff. The house he bought ten years ago belonged to the funeral director (there's a connecting sidewalk to the funeral home), and they had left a bunch of old furniture & stuff behind when they moved out. Built in 1932. They even left a casket liner in the store room.

5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Nice collection! I don't have boys, but my youngest daughter wants to try old school razors when she starts shaving her legs...

6. '65 G-Slim

My daughter in law asked me what she should try...I told her the type L Schick with a twin blade.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Cool story. You are missing a NEW. HA! That is a good representation of 20th Century shavers.

8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Very :signs021:buddy!

Jorvaljr likes this.