Ellington's Wide Eyed Whiskey Cider Aftershave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by feeltheburn, Jan 1, 2016.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I got a small bottle of this stuff in the Wet Shave Club subscription box my wife got me for Christmas and I've been trying it out the past week. Finally checked out their website since I've never heard of Ellington's before and as I suspected, this is an alcohol free splash. It doesn't feel greasy at all yet still manages to leave my skin a little better moisturized and feeling pretty good.

The one thing I don't like much about it is the scent. I wasn't sure what the sour note was until I looked on the website. This stuff uses an apple cider vinegar base. That's what I smell for the most part. It has some other notes mixed in there but none of them are really strong enough to overcome that sour vinegar smell. The scent also hangs around. It doesn't project that much but you catch a whiff of it every now and then. I'll admit that after using it for a few days it doesn't seem quite as bad. Maybe it grows on you. But this is one after shave I probably won't buy more of. Even though it does its job there are too many others I enjoy smelling more.

BigCabDaddy and PLAla like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm glad to read your review! I too got this aftershave in the Wet Shave Club box. Haven't used it yet. The smell in the bottle seems potent, and I now can see the 'sour' element you mentioned. That makes perfect sense. I'm going to try it soon.

3. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

It's too bad that someone can't come up with a way to deodorize cider vinegar. It so good for skin and hair care!

feeltheburn likes this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've never tried anything with a cider vinegar base and it does make my skin feel pretty good but yeah, that smell :)

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I finally got around to trying this after shave this morning. The scent is still interesting. It has not lasted too long on me though. It felt good going on without too much burn. I'll use it more often!