Equinox Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by GeneralKinetics, Sep 6, 2015.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

No buts, no cuts, no coconuts. Early S unday morning shave, because our bunnies are as restless as new born babies.
    I started off with a really shallow/flat angle and slowly turned the spine out until it started to cut. It requires a far shallower angle than the Parker SR1. I completed my WTG pass without blood or hair in that direction :). I only went ATG on my left side with my left hand, and had enough heft to go up my face and neck easily. No cuts, but I barely nicked my ear, and it bled for 15 seconds, and then stopped. Totally okay. I finished up my right side with my RazoRock Jaws and was good to go.

We'll see over the next month of shaves whether my opinion about this thing changes, or whether I can do a full shave without shedding any blood and getting extremely close.

This definitely feels more hefty and smoother than the Parker SR1. My angle and pressure are still a little off going north up my neck and face, but I feel good and am BBS in all the areas I can get.
    20150906_081040.jpg

178-bplatoon, Keithmax and Drygulch like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

3. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

I prefer the one on the can!:scared001:

4. GeneralKinetics

Haha yeah. I know that shavettes have a horrible image in most people's minds. They are hard to use. I'm trying to get good with one, because I don't want to deal with the honing and stropping of a traditional STR8. I also have a ton of DE blades to use up as well, haha.

Drygulch and richgem like this.
  5. GeneralKinetics

20150909_070925.jpg SOTD:

Just doing single WTG pass shaves until I can master that with both my hands and this shavette, then will move onto the ATG pass.

Razor: Equinox Full DE Blade Shavette with Astra SS(2nd 1-pass shave on this side of the blade)
    Brush: Semogue 620
    Soap: New Lea Classic Soap
    AS: Alum, Lucky Tiger Face Tonic and Clubman Special Reserve.
    Moisturizer: Bey Shave Beard and Hair Oil.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Pretty cool. No blood today, eh?

7. GeneralKinetics

No Blood. I actually nicked my ear a couple days ago, and that healed up nice. I'm just practicing my WTG pass right now and trying to perfect that before I move on. One thing I noticed with this Shavette over the smaller Parker SR1 is that the correct angle is a lot shallower and with the scales closer to your face.

8. Boosnark

Boosnark New Member

I received mine today and am amazed at the blade exposure on this one. Enough to slice chicken with. Did a two pass shave and so far so good. No blood (yet). I used much shorter strokes, relative to those on my Feather DX. This instills much more fear and respect compared to the Parker and Feather straights. But the weight does help considerably.

9. GeneralKinetics

How did you find the blade angle to be? I find it to be really shallow.

10. Boosnark

Boosnark New Member

I find it shallow as well, due to the exposure. Perhaps under 30 degrees, closer to 20.

11. GeneralKinetics

I imagine that must make it safer.

12. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I just finished a one pass with it (the second pass I did with a safety razor). I had a few weepers and one substantial knick as I was trying to figure out how to best get under my nose. I also used a really shallow angle. I found gripping it difficult, but assume I'll adjust over time. All things considered, I'm very happy with it.