Establishing a Bevel

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by IsaacRN, Dec 28, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I had just purchased a 220/1000 Norton stone which im waiting for. I have an old blade that my brother gave me that needs a new bevel. What is the general rule for establishing a bevel. I know the 1000 will be a quick cutter..do you do like 5 passes on each side?

THanks!!

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

You have to look at the edge through a loupe to see your progress. It is different for every blade depending on the condition of the blade's edge. To say 5 passes on each side is enough is not fair to you because it may take more passes. I have experiences were the edge was in bad shape and it took a lot more than 5 passes on the 1k to establish a new bevel.

Raf

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Thats what I was hoping to hear. After the horrible experience of a warped blade that i honed.......and wore the spine down ALOT....im kinda nervous about doing bevel work.

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

I would use some electrical tape if it's a blade you are concerned about showing hone wear on...;)

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

The only thing with that is.......from what ive read......is that you need to keep the tape on there the whole way through..because taking off the tape would change the angle of the blade

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

tis true, you can then try to even it out on a 4K or 6K...just depends....I would just be careful with a expensive blade or one you don't want to show wear on when using an aggressive stone...

I have taped my spines when using the 1K it may have taken more laps on the 4K but when I was finished the results were great...

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

So you taped fore the 1k...and untaped the rest of the way?

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Yes, I have done it that way...have also left the tape on until the 4K then removed for 6K and up....

Did you bring you hones with you?

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Issac, I have also used electrical tape on 800 grit paper and then on the 4K and 8K. I just leave it on until I am ready for the pasted strop.

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Tape rocks when using the low grit stones or sandpapers. I usually leave it on until I'm almost done on the 4k. Then remove and polish the edge from there. Never had any problems doing it that way.

The blades with damaged edges that I've repaired really benefited from the tape as well. Definately a must have for the honing kit.

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

THanks Guys