Ever heard of this Straight?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Windwalker, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

I bought a lot of the following from Ebay: 4 brushes, 2 DE razors,and a straight. After hosing it down with Scrubbing Bubbles, I used some Maas to try and clean it up and am able to see the following: a flower with 6 petals The J.R.Torrey Co., below that it looks like US with an arrow through it, below that I believe it has .....ster, Mass. On the back(?) is a name engraved that looks like Frank Mackey. What else could I use to clean up the blade? Any info on this razor or the company? I will try to post pictures as soon as I can. It has what I think is commonly called a barbers notch on the tip. It is about 1/2 wide from the spine to the edge of the blade, so that would probably make it a 5/8, correct? I found this picture over at B&B, the shape and size seem to be about right. Mine has some staining? on both side of the blade, and the tang could use a good cleaning. I thought about using a Dremel and a light touch, but am concerned with ruining the blade. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Torreys are nice razors.

3. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Torrey's are nice blades that were manufactured, I believe, in Worcester Massachusetts (don't bet the farm on this, though).

Start cleaning it by hand using a soft cloth and some MAAS metal polish. You'd be surprised what that can do with some effort. If you choose to use a Dremel, be very careful near the edge. I would go from tip to heel with the Dremel but if you go perpendicular, be sure your Dremel is rotating in the direction of the edge. Otherwise, if the edge catches your polishing wheel, all sorts of damage can be done to the blade and yourself.

4. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Torreys are good blades.

Worchester, Mass. is where they're from.

5. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Torrey’s are good razors have a couple myself, if you use a Dremel make sure the blade edge is facing the left with the notch pointing away from you (hold in left hand scales in palm of hand notch pointing away edge facing left) when you do the other side make sure the edge is faceing to the left place a folded newspaper or cardboard not a hard surface under the razor, use a steel brush on the Dremel not a brass one it will mark the blade put a bit of maas or similar on the blade spread with finger and go to it, if you use the Dremel in a pushing motion from the tang to the notch when held as discribed the rotation of the brush will be up off the razor edge instead of down on to it( it will be spinning anti-clockwise) so will not catch on the blade with the risk of chipping it and wear eye protection
    Or if you know anybody who does their own re-loading and want a lasy way to clean razors ;) ask if you can use their case tumbler with chipped corn or walnut husk and a load of polish mixed in that’s what I use can get 4 open straights in at a go including scales have also used it to clean DE razors take them to bits drop the bits in the corn mix and leave for as long as needed

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

+1 (Dates of operation, 1858 - 1963)

7. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Thanks for the advice and information. I don't know if I will use, I will admit they do fascinate me, and at some point I think that I would like to give it a go with a straight. I am still getting my feet under me with safety razors. For now it will probably go in the display case, so I would like it to look nice. If I do decide to use it, are there people who would hone it and get it shave ready for me? I am sure they are out there, anyone you would recommend? :D Or to stay away from? ;) TIA

8. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Lynn Abrams comes to mind as a go to person...I come to mind as a stay away from person :D

you could get in touch with Lynn through straightrazordesigns.com to order the honing service.

9. xChris

xChris Member

Blade sizes are usually measured in 1/8 inch increments. If it is 1/2 inch wide than it equals a 4/8 razor.

10. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Cool idea. I never thought about using the same equipment as you would use to clean up your brass.