Ever-Ready 115 Re-Energized

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by figment714, Feb 8, 2015.

1. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Several months ago I was fortunate enough to win a vintage Ever-Ready 115 brush handle as part of a PIF from @TitanTTB. The old knot had been removed before it was sent to me, so all I had to do was clean and polish the handle and perform some additional expansion and clearing of the socket to accept a new knot.

I expanded the hole from about 19mm to approximately 21.5mm so that the handle would accommodate a larger knot. After trading several emails with the good folks at TheGoldenNib, I was invited to visit their shop, which is located about 30 minutes from my home. I grabbed the handle, drove across town, and we reviewed several knots of various grades, shapes, and sizes. I eventually selected a 20mm, TGN 2-band Finest badger in a fan shape. Using 5 minute epoxy, I set the knot at 51mm, which I hope will perform well for bowl lathering. Photos of the finished product can be seen below:

Pre-Bloom:
    [​IMG]

Post-Bloom:
    [​IMG]

Glory Shot:
    [​IMG]

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Don, that looks fantastic. I am a big fan of TGN Finest knots. Set at 50mm you should be good to go with either bowl or face lathering. I am waiting on a handle and I'm thinking of going with a fan shape this time around. Look forward to hearing you thoughts on the brush.

figment714 likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good work! I think you are going to enjoy this!

figment714 likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Beautiful!

figment714 likes this.
  5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Great job!

figment714 likes this.
  6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Very nice looking brush, and a visit to TGN to pick out a knot to boot!

figment714 likes this.
  7. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

That is a good looking brush. Ever Ready made such a vast range of brushes, it never ceases to impress me. If a modern manufacturer managed to make a fraction of similarly designed brushes, I would be a fan for life. But until then, it looks like I have some knot replacing and handle polishing to do.

figment714 likes this.
  8. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Looks great

figment714 likes this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Nice job Don! Beautiful retro brush.

figment714 likes this.
  10. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind comments. A few test lathers have me believing that the TGN Finest knot hits the sweet spot of having soft tips AND good backbone... exactly what I was after.

clint64 likes this.
  11. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

Nice job, you are very fortunate to have the knot shop across town!

figment714 likes this.
  12. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Nice job on that brush.

figment714 likes this.
  13. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

It really turned out great Don. Nice to see a vintage handle back in action & good choice on the TGN finest, its a excellent knot. Here's the before picture...

[​IMG]