Ever-Ready 1912 Ornate Handle model

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GeneralKinetics, May 22, 2015.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I just took my girlfriend to this awesome antique store in Sebastopol, CA. I think it was an airplane hangar or something. It's just insanely huge.

Anywho,

I picked up an Ever-Ready 1912 with the Ornate Handle for $6. I'm ordering a blade sampler from TryaBlade.com at the moment. I'm hoping I like the GEM SS PTFE blades, because of how cheap they are for a 100 pack on Connaught. I have DEs and what not. I'm coming up on my first year anniversary of wetshaving.

My favorite set up right now is a Fat Handle Tech with an Astra SP. What kind of shave can I expect from this razor?

Attached Files:

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

A really close shave. Nice score!

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a bowed comb on that razor. It ought to straighten out easily enough. I'm very fond of this model and use one frequently. My blade of choice is the Gem Blue Star or its CVS branded twin. They're excellent razors. Enjoy.

Douglas Carey and BigMark like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's cool. I love that razor. It's a nice shaver, and of course, the handle is really neat.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. GeneralKinetics

Should I try to bend it with needle nose pliers or anything or just leave it alone and shave with it and see how iti s?

6. GeneralKinetics

Awesome. I'm really looking forward to it. I have a gold Gem Junior in better shape coming for me, but I saw this guy and had to have it for $6. I don't have any blades yet.

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd try to straighten it out. The blade gap will be dangerously wonky otherwise. Just remember go slow.

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I see that bow now. If it doesn't straighten out successfully, you have an extra handle for your Gem Jr.

9. GeneralKinetics

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check it out when I get my Gem Jr with 5 GEM PTFE SS blades and see how the gap is.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Another FYI you can use DE handles with your 1912 as long as the handle thread size is 10/32, just get a 10/32 set screw. :)

11. GeneralKinetics

Nice. Wouldn't that still require tapping the handle?

12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It would not. Set screw screws into the handle and into the head.

13. GeneralKinetics

Oh, I see. I'm not thinking about this correctly. Is there a list anywhere of which handles happen to work?

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Nice score.

15. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Nice score. I have the same razor on its way to me.
    Were these razors made in 1912?

16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know if you can tell when they were made. They carry the pat. 1912 stamp but were made for many years afterwards.

Slow Joe likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

There is no list of handles that I am aware of, but most Gillette and modern handles have worked for me as far as thread size. Some SE heads such as the 1912 Damaskene were of a different thread size however.

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I don't have the 1912 Damaskene to try, so I can't speak for that one. I made a punch handle for my SE, and it works great, however there is one that it does not work on, the Ever-Ready 1914.
    http://www.jrshaving.blogspot.com/2015/02/brass-punch-handle-continuing-story.html
    punch_handle29.jpg
    punch_handle28.jpg punch_handle27.jpg punch_handle00.jpg

maltedmilk and 178-bplatoon like this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

20. GeneralKinetics

So, I've done 3 shaves with it and it's fantastic. Closer than a DE(judging by the hair growth after a certain number of hours), and a super smooth shave. The bowed comb isn't having any adverse effects. It's great. I'm very intrigued. I'm still on my first GEM SS PTFE blade.

clint64 likes this.