Ever Ready Nightmare

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe Nobles, May 17, 2018.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

So I've had these two Ever Ready SE monsters for almost a month now. I don't particularly like them, I don't hate 'em there just not my thing. I was really enamored by the design, they are very cool looking razors, but there ends the appeal.

These razors can seriously cut skin, yes if I take it real slow and ride the cap the scary razor monster will only bite off the whiskers with very loud munching noises. To me if it came down to it and I had to choose between one of these single edge "safety" razors and a throat slitter Straight razor I'd grow a beard.

Now I'm totally on-board with injectors, I've been loaned a heap of Schick's and like them very much. They seem to exude a dash of debonair and easy use and with it's subtle colouring, Art Deco styling I've even seen a couple of hand made wood handled they are very attractive devices. They are very maneuverable compared to the ER's huge bulk, and maybe a smidge more than a TTO DE razor. I've obtained a G4 for my collection and am happy with that as an example of vintage SE shaving equipment in my collection. I don't foresee it becoming my preferred choice, so far that belongs to my '59 Gillette Tech, but it's a cool razor no matter how you slice it.

jwr3265, RyX, Redfisher and 1 other person like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Wait for your posting count to increase.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Some of my favorite razors are SEs. Used with the proper blade and right technique, they will provide smooth and comfortable shaves.

To use an SE properly, start with the flat side of the head flat against your face. With no pressure, pull the razor along and just slightly lift the back. The audible feedback from an SE is music to my ears. Do not use a blade found at hardware stores.

Try it again before you give up on them.

Robyflexx, Primotenore and TobyC like this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

What are you talking about exactly, pictures would help. I've found through experience that the first encounter with an older SE razor I had is that it felt harsh and unforgiving but now a few years down the road the razors work fine for me. Big fan of SE razors. Especially the MMOC. First time I shaved with it I completely hated it and now it has become on of my favorites . It's all about how you use the tool. Anyway just my opinion....

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I would not give up on them, they are amazing razors. ( I think the injectors look like cheap disposable crap.) Put them away and forget about them for a year, you'll thank me later.

Redfisher likes this.
  6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Injector razors are absolutely awesome.

Robyflexx and nikos.a like this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/okay-guys-tell-me-the-basics.59455/

8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

May be, I just hate the looks.

Redfisher likes this.
  9. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

You've got great examples of a 1912 and 1924 Ever Ready SE.

As @TobyC mentioned, hang on to them, put them in a drawer for a year and come back at a later time. They're both great shavers.

Also, definitely do not use those Korean-made blades. Probably where a lot of your problems come from. Gem, Pal or Treet only.

TobyC likes this.
  10. Joe Nobles

[​IMG]

I have the "good" blades, and know that these are capable of excellent shaves, I'm just not into these as anything aside from their value as collectables.

But just like I don't want a chain driven Ford these razors are shelf items I'd rather not keep.

Jim99 likes this.
  11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Chain driven Ford?

Jrdelgado likes this.
  12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jrdelgado likes this.
  13. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

I am quoting the Fuzzman "technique trumps tools"

AGHisBBS and TobyC like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That shovel head sure is a great looking razor!

15. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I know what you need OP, you need to shave with MMOC only for a whole month, no if's no but's

16. Joe Nobles

@TobyC yes at one time Ford and many others used a chain instead of a shaft to transfer power from the engine to the drive wheels. Like many motorcycles have even now.
    download.jpeg
    This photo shows a model T chain drive. The last car that had one was a Honda in 1960
    HondaS600-001.jpg
    It's an S600 I don't know much about them

Frijolero, Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The famous Mack truck of WWI fame was a track drive.

Frijolero likes this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Actually, Honda’s first four wheeled vehicle went on sale in 1963. The Honda S600 went on sale in Japan in March 1964 and was sold up to 1966. The drivetrain included a chain drive.

Frijolero likes this.
  19. Joe Nobles

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit of a car nut.

Jim99 likes this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Razors and cars! Two great hobbies!
    :)