ever ready SE - door wont shut snug...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by EzraCobb, May 9, 2017.

1. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

I scored a Ever Ready SE a while ago, with a cool package as it was used as a free gift in a hotel. The razor is American Ever Ready and looks JUST like a Gem 1912 Brooklyn - same handle just the head says ever ready.

I slowly have been buying and bidding SE's on the cheap and this was a great score - brand new. I thought the razor was fine - well yesterday I finally started using SE GEM/E.R. razors and was testing out my collections and this razors Door WONT shut down tightly - It kinda wobbles and one side has wider gap - I do not see any visible dents or damage..:angry017::(:scared011: So I have the box with instructions and visually the razor is MINT:signs131: but the darn door wont shut - is this a fixable thing - any body here ever experience or fix this? I would be willing to send this to a "fixer upper" - a shame to see this beauty in a damaged state

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Could you post pictures? It will be very helpful.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. EzraCobb

when i get home i will, thanks

4. EzraCobb

my camera is not so good on close ups, the issue... one side of the top door is slightly raised when closed, also the door is rattling when closed. like i said this was never used but stored for decades...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I can't tell from the pictures, but either the door or the bottom plate is bent/twisted.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

It looks like the mounting point on the head is twisted where it meets the handle.

It may very well be NOS, but perhaps stored poorly...

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Some gentle persuasion should fix it.

jimjo1031, TitanTTB and Jayaruh like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Compare it to the other side and see if any of it looks different. These are fairly tough razors and can take some gentle tweaking when needed......no twerking though!

jimjo1031 and Bookworm like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a good way to put it. I agree.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Does it hold tight with a blade in it? It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like one 'ear' might be longer (the part below the pivot where it contacts the bottom plate) or maybe its just the camera angle.

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yep......

12. EzraCobb

I will try to tweek and not twerk (the thought of me twerking is horrific :shocked003:) maybe i can bend it , i did see the box had a gash.. prolly had stuff stacked on it for 75 years. ... shame :prrr::sad023: at least i got the handle for backup:scared011:..............

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I recently picked up a beautiful 1912-14 ER lather catcher that had been bent so bad the blade would not stay in place. I was able to tweek it and once again it is an AWESOME razor. Good luck.

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Try tweaking. Might get you further. (When I read 'tweek', I think of someone on drugs... with a razor. Sweeny Todd, perhaps? )