Ever wonder...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Sledge, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Sledge

Sledge New Member

if all the places we love that sell the products we love will just say "screw it" and close up shop? that our love of shaving products isnt enough to support their business? that we may inevitably be reduced back to cartridge razors just because thats all that will be out there readily available? i mean its bad enough that without the internet, most people would not ever know the benifits of wetshaving today, just because nowhere locally sells it... what if this happened?

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

GO STR8...and you have a blade for life :p

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I do have this fear, and to alleviate the fear, I buy, Buy, and BUY some more. Support the seller, you know? Make sure there's a strong demand factor :rofl

My biggest fear is the discontinuation of aqua velva ice blue (which is an illogical fear, but nonetheless stranger things have happened).

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I think the existence of forums like this and the fact that so many people are fed up with sub-par shaves means that certain retailers will be around a good while. Now, like the cigar boom back a few years back, there will be some places that come and go. But the guys (and gals) that do it right, like CAR and Classic Shaving, will be around a good while.

And I agree with Joe. If you have gotten good products and good service from a certain place, don't forget about them and let all of us know. :D

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Seeing as how companies like Trumpers and Taylor of Old Bond Street are still around after a century and a half with the inclusion of Electrics and such, I am not overly worried myself.

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I think Sejanus is spot on

7. Sledge

Sledge New Member

its not illogical... when was the last time you saw stetson at your local stores? i rest my case... lol i cant find that stuff anywhere... i dont know why :( not that i would buy it... but i havent found it nonetheless... hell, take a look at the straight razor!!! where you find those? or DE blades? they all went extinct... so could anything else.

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

We would all do our best ZZ Top impression? :confused:

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Just have to look. IN Texas.....you can find a stetson at most places :)

10. JMS

JMS New Member

There are companies that still make straights! TI, Dovo, and not to mention the Paki specials!;)
    I say big deal if they all go out of business, I have enough straight razors to last over 150 lifetimes, there will always be soap makers around and I'm not likely to wear my hones down in 2 lifetimes!!

I'm set! :D

11. Sledge

Sledge New Member

well im thinking more along the lines of soaps and creams and brushes and whatnot... not to mention the razors and everything, which while still produced, you wont find them on display at the local drug store like you did many years ago... not even DEs... i think we are lucky enough to even find personna blades in drug stores honestly... lol

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Well, now it is true that availability is a problem. The chain stores won't waste the space on stuff that isn't linked to a major range like Gillette or Schick. Heck, Target took out Proraso. (I just wish they'd get some of the Boots men's products to replace it. Caldo sux.)

But we keep the internet stores and the soapers going!

13. Sledge

Sledge New Member

lol hopefully...

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If all the other soapers close up, I'll be rich! Rich I tell ya!! :rofl

15. Sledge

Sledge New Member

do you only make soaps for TSD? or do you have your own line as well?

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    My soaps and creams are only available through TSD's store.

17. Sledge

Sledge New Member

oh ok... cool :)

18. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I worry about this all the time. Whenever I use some MB or HBS, I go through a little mental calculation. Given how long a puck of soap seems to last, how much could they possibly be selling, and how can they possibly make a living at this? I've never come up with the answer, but I just can't see how the economics work.

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am going to side with Isaac, if I got an sense that this was going to happen I would go with the straight. No need to buy anything at any time. I still might go with the straight when my son is a little older. Three reasons: the shave lasts longer and second there is no need to buy anything further and third, I love being able to pass down to my son some learning and this is something that I can show him once I master the technique myself.

20. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

If you look in the right places there is an abundance of razors, blades, Straights. Soaps are out there by the gizzilions. I have never had any trouble finding equipment. Support your local shops, visit antique mall and stores the stuff is out there.

Raf