Everyday Shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by JoeMal, Nov 29, 2010.

1. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

While looking at a thread earlier today that discussed waiting a day or two in between shaves, I was pondering the idea of shaving every day.

How many of you shave every day? Have you always done this?

Personally, I have a very sensitive neck (particularly the sides of my neck) and this prevents me from being able to shave on a daily basis. I usually have to wait a few days in between shaves otherwise my neck hates me :rolleyes: (I hate it back :cool:)

However, I just got my first DE in the mail a few days ago and did my first shave yesterday. So I'm wondering if my skin condition may improve with a new found technique and tools, which may lead to the ability to shave everyday.

So, once again, if you shave on a daily basis, have you always been able to do this? Or is it something you have 'acquired' with your experience?

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I try to shave every day. No, I wasn't always able to do this when using the multi-bladed systems sold over the years. It was only when I went to straight razor shaving that I was able to shave every day. That was about 3 years ago.

It will take your skin time to adjust to any new shaving method. So be patient and don't do more than your skin will allow. You've got a lifetime of shaves ahead of you regardless of what method you choose.

Technique will play a role in the quality of your shaves and again, I say patience is the order of the day. Enjoy the learning curve. Your face will thank you for it.

3. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I shave everyday, sometimes i skip a day, but that's because i dont have time to shave.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

back in the days of canned goo and system razors, I would shave as little as I had to, sometimes only three times a week.

Once I started wet shaving, I started shaving every day...craving the shaving actually. If I get into a situation where for some reason I really tear my face up either because of too much pressure, or a rough blade, I may wait a day before I shave again, but usually I just move to a one or two pass shave instead of my normal three of four pass routine.

As for the question of face conditioning; I really do not have an answer there. I do not remember needing a break in period when I made the switch...

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

In my cartridge era I shaved on Sunday, that was it. Now I shave 7 days a week, during the learning curve I would go every other day and practice lather making on the off days. My technique was awful and I needed a recovery day. Your neck sounds just like mine, overly sensitive it will come around for you though. The hardest part is getting your technique down while trying to find that blade and razor combo that will take you to Nirvana.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The Air Force made me shave every day. I would often skip Saturdays, then shave Sunday if I was going to church (wasn't a regular back then). Very seldom shaved while I was on leave.

Now I'm retired. I shave every day, including the weekends. It's not required for work, but I think it's better for my position. I'm also a pastor, so there's Sunday. However, shaving has become a "get to", not a "have to."

Fortunately I've never had irritation problems.

7. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

I shave everyday, occasionally I will skip a day only if I do not have time. I have found that when I skip a day the extra growth makes for a more uncomfortable shave.

8. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I wasn't able to shave every day when I was shaving with a cartridge razor, but I can now that I use a safety razor. I don't always have time for it though. I try not to skip more than a day.

9. cyb

cyb Member

As a newbie, I use cartridge and cheap goopy goo. There is nothing pleasurable about shaving right now, so I skip weekends because I don't have to do it. I have a sensitive neck, and it is sort of a chore to shave.

Looking forward to the days of shaving for pleasure rather than strictly as a means to an end. I imagine my weekend shaves will increase once I get the right tools in hand.

10. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I shave daily and rarely skip unless I have to. I get severe irritation around my neck near my collar line if I don't. Even when I grow my full beard out, I have to shave the bottom two inches along my neck/collar area. I get bad irritation if I don't shave that area.

11. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I shave every day, as skipping a day results in much too much stubble. When I was using a cartridge and canned stuff (usually Edge Gel) I used to skip several days a week when I could get away with it (not in the Navy). That was partly because I'd get irritation, partly because it just wasn't much fun even when I didn't get irritation.

Looking back, a large part of the irritation was probably because I didn't relather between passes, figuring that there was enough slickness left. Also, I was just hacking away without really paying attention to what I was doing. Even cartridge shaving can benefit from technique.

Nowadays, I have no irritation problems when I stick to razors I'm familiar with. Now and then, I'll pick up something new, and maybe get a little razor burn because I'm not used to it, but this is rare. I don't even need to use any balms or other aftershave treatments.

The funny thing is, I used to be convinced that I had sensitive skin. Now I realize that it wasn't me, it was the faulty shaving methods I was using.

12. Mike Schutz

Mike Schutz New Member

I'm in my 60's and started shaving with a Gillette Slim in the 60's. At times I've shaved with various multi-blade products. When I went back to the DE razors, I found them very uncomfortable. It usually took a week or two of not so pleasant shaves to re-acclimate my face to the DE razor. After a while, the discomfort went away and the shaves greatly improved.

A good DE razor and high quality soap can't be be beat for comfort and satisfaction. My shave is a great start to every day.

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I shave every day so as to look presentable. Also, my girlfriend doesn't like it if I am sandpaper face.

14. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I doubt I've missed two days of shaving in the last 3 years. Since I started this insanity it's just got a hold of me very hard. The shaves are good enough I could probably switch to every other day and not look too bad but dammit shaving is just such a blast I doubt I'd have the discipline to make that happen. There are many things I enjoy but most of them I can't do every day. Shaving is the exception and I doubt I'd intentionally miss a day if I had a choice in the matter.

15. chadstar

chadstar Member

Being Ginger, my Wife says i look "Rusty" if i don't shave every day :eek:

16. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I love to shave everyday but don't always do it. Not so much a matter time, I can make time if necessary, its just that I don't find a need to shave sometimes.

That means that I am not going anywhere that requires me to look presentable. Of course at my age the beard growth is grey and is not too noticeable if I miss a day.

Found that if I miss a day the next day's shave is not a problem and in fact I am able to get a BBS shave without any problems.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I used to shave everyday but got into str8s and was getting such a close shave it was just a lesson in futility trying to do it everyday. I have a beard at the moment (winter....) and only shave my neck and mustache right now, but I do that everyday unless I get a really close shave and there isn't anything to shave off the next day.

18. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I have found that with my DE i get a better shave and actually have to shave less. But on the flip side, I can shave every day now with good product. I actually had to travel and took my old cartridge beast with good product and had a good shave. As a previous poster stated. Technique goes a long way.

19. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

now that I know how to shave I do it every day. I may skip a day on the weekend but that whole day I'm thinking about how awesome tomorrows shave will be. is that weird ?

look ma 555 posts

20. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Not at all. Now that I'm beginning to have the ability to shave every other day, if not every day, I am now looking forward to the next shave religiously!