Excited Newbie!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by jbraman, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jbraman

jbraman Member

Hi guys. Just wanted to check in. I'm very excited about this and I'm not entirely sure where it all started. I have my "starter" supplies on the way. Merkur 34c, proraso white, inexpensive tweezerman brush. I sooo can't wait to get started. I'm not sure what kind of after shave to use, so any pointers, other than scent?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.

As for aftershave, there's a slew of 'em out there. I like witch hazel because it has almost no scent. Then I come back with a scented aftershave or cologne.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Welcome to the den.

Your kit is pretty similar to one I used when first starting. Have your ordered blades? If not, I would suggest picking up a sampler pack. I went through a few types of AS and have settled on Superior 70 Bay Rum. It has a light scent that agrees with me and is available locally for just over $2 a bottle. I would use your sniffer and see what agrees with you.

Aside from the AS, I would consider an ASB while starting out. The Nivea ASB is available in most grocery stores. It would help with recovery from irritation while getting your technique down. I have also heard great things about the After Shave Milk available at The Shave Den store. I haven't used it, but it has some happy users.

Once again, welcome to the forum. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

6. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the TSD forum jbraman

7. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Welcome to the Den! Enjoy your stay here and Happy Shaving! :signs046:

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

9. marks971

marks971 Member

Welcome to TSD! :signs046:

10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Welcome :) I have proraso white as well and find I don't need aftershave at all (Now that my technique is getting better and it doesn't look like I shaved with a ceiling fan). Still works good for the scent though, I just use some of the tons of Brut and English leather left over from my grandfather; brings back good memories for me every morning.

11. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Hello and welcome to The Shave Den! I hope you enjoy your stay.

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the December Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

13. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

Welcome to TSD!! For aftershave, I prefer balms over anything alcohol based. It seems less harsh on my skin and helps in case of razorburn.

14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den, I started out with a Merkur 34c, Nice way to start:), and proraso is also very good

15. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Welcome to TSD!

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Now as to your request of pointers.
    #1 Dale mentioned getting a sample pack of blades. That is excellent advice. You should try each razor in the pack to begin to determine which one is better for you. Not better for someone else, for you!
    #2 You need to map your beard to find which way the hairs are growing so that you can determine whether you are going With The Grain (WTG) of the hair, Across The Grain (XTG) or Against The Grain (ATG).
    #3 Multipass and beard reduction is the name of the game. Not cutting all the hair off in one bold stroke.
    #4 Watch Videos from experts who can show you tricks and tips.

In my opinion the best in the game is Mark (Mantic59) as you can gather from this site.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

GeoFatBoy is also really excellent, but he is more into the hardware focus.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy

Watch and learn from both of them.

Lastly is what I call the 30 day rule.

Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your face (that may take a few different blades in a sampler to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

Good fortune.

18. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Welcome to TSD.

19. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome to The Shave Den! Witch hazel will work for something basic.

20. jbraman

jbraman Member

Thanks for all the awesome input so far guys(and girls). I've been watching mantic's videos and learning a lot there. Still waiting for all the goods to come in, so i probably wont get to start until after Christmas. I love TSD already!. It's nice to get to interact. Another forum I went on, I signed up but never received an email to activate so i couldnt talk to anybody. Thanks again.