Exercise and Shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Smedley, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Smedley

Smedley New Member

The benefits of exercise before shaving have been mentioned by other people (including Cory, the blogger you love to hate :rofl), but I am just going to emphasize it here.

The goal of pre-shave prep is to get the whiskers standing out, and to lubricate the skin. With a good workout before your shave, you achieve both these goals with no effort. The lubrication is all those natural oils, and, yes, sweat.

Try it out, do some physical exercise that gets you all sweaty (you beady-eyed little devils), and then just lather up and shave. Don't use oil, pre/post, whatever. Slap the lather on and start shaving. Do not shower beforehand.

I think the results will surprise you. And, as always, YMMV, but I really get my best shaves after a workout.

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Excellent post, David. I think you're right. I always find the skin of my face to be very slick when lathering up after a workout.

As long as you are keeping yourself hydrated (drinking plenty water)

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

............topped off with three reps of shaving curls!:D

4. Xert

Xert New Member

Good point, David, although it's not quite as good a prep as some time in a sauna...

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Now there is a concept. Sink, mirror and shave setup in a sauna. All the hot water, steam, hot lather you could possibly want. Where do I get one of these? :D

6. Xert

Xert New Member

I've yet to actually do it in a sauna yet, but I'm certainly willing to try!

7. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Exercise, then the sauna while shaving. The ultimate male spa experience! There has to be some place in town where I can do that...

8. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

THey have these mens clubs here in NY. I cant remember the name but they have sauna's/manicures/pedicures/full spa/barbers....of course you have to pay a membership fee, which i found out was EXPENSIVE

9. Capt America

Capt America Member

when you do this... do you not apply any water to the face before applying lather?

10. Xert

Xert New Member

I used to work at a private swim school near Eglinton West...If only I'd thought of it then!

11. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Somehow I think my Merkurs would be a little too hot 2 handle!

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Water is applied....everything is done as usual

13. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I just exercise then skip the shower. Everything else you should do as you normally do in your shave routine.

14. Will

Will Nevermind

Hydtrate or DIE! (sorry it was my slogan in Iraq).

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Does this work equally as well with a streight and a safety?

16. Will

Will Nevermind

ie! ;) (JoAnna will kill you for spelling mistakes, I should know :rofl).

I am sure it would, it is more or less preping the skin, not so much what you use to shave with.

17. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

--AI-- straight :rolleyes005

Anyway, I agree - it should work equally well no matter what you're shaving with

18. Will

Will Nevermind

My jokes are gettin worse. :rofl

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nah, I'm so used to you that I'm constantly making spelling errors myself, and I've noticed many others doing the same too. :rolleyes:

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

AVitis has set in fur ser. :D