Exfloiate the Face

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Special_K, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

Interesting chat guys.

To what degree of exfoliation are we talking about? Using a brush in and of itself is exfoliation. Shaving is exfoliation.

My preshave prep always involves lathering up with soap and brush and letting the lather sit on there for a few minutes to soften up my beard. This combination of exfoliation, beard softening, hydration and heat has given me above par shaves since I've been doing it. Much better than letting your face sit under a hot towel than three minutes.

Everybody's mileage varies, and removing a layer of dead skin before once again removing a layer of dead skin may be too much for some guys skin. But I agree with Boyextraordinaire, exfoliation in general is a good thing.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

If you shave on a daily basis, as stated above, just exfoliating the t-zone once or twice a week would be more than sufficient it seems. Good prep for your beard leading a great shave is a different story.

3. riffin

riffin Active Member

See my recent CoC posts. I'm using a combo of jojoba and vit E oils plus aloe gel. My most recent concoction also has a smidge of amber paste and some cold brew coffee concentrate. That makes a nice scent! I precede that with witch hazel followed by a dose of menthol, usually Proraso, sometimes Anherb or Tryphon Mentolo.

After a rough shave, I may skip the WH and definitely skip the menthol. It hurts too much! heheh. And then I mix the oils and aloe gel in my palm to avoid the EO.

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

That why I only do it once a week, at most, and only on non-shave days. I started using a scrub every day, but that left my face feeling like a bad case of road rash, whether I shaved or not. Every other day - big improvement, still a bit red. 2x per week - better still. Once a week on non-shave days - my skin feels as smooth as if I'd shaved, except there's still hair. Now if only we could micro-engineer grit that would cut stubble while exfoliating, like shaving without a razor.

5. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I am only DE shaving now and have not exfoliated a couple of times and see what you guys are saying...maybe the exfoliating was only helping me with the ingrowns and such when I was cartridge shaving.

I was just trying to provide an idea to those still cartridge shaving.

6. BrushAndBlade

BrushAndBlade New Member

I sometimes use Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub, then shower (no soap on face), then shave. Works real well.
    I don't use the Face Scrub every time though.

7. erictski

erictski Member

I use a product by Aubry Organics called preshave scrub...

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=4013

It is very gentle with no chemical exfoliats like sacylic acid or benzo peroxide ... it uses almonds i think for exfoliation...I think this works great because its not removing a ton of skin so much as just the very top dead skin to loosen up any hairs that need to be loosened up for a nice ingrown free shave...

other than that it is Oil Cleansing for me...

8. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Methinks you may be just a weeeee bit obsessed with your hatred for P&G. I of course don't read ALL your posts but I'd say about 90% of the ones I have read mention in some way your dislike for P&G. It's kind of like John Kerry who could not open his mouth without mentioning that he served in Viet Nam, after awhile it like All RIGHT already I've heard it before. :sad029

:scared003

9. joscobo

joscobo New Member

I get a much better shave if I use an exfoliate scrub in the shower. After I use it I can feel the hairs on my neck (always a problem area) standing up a little more. I get a closer shave with less irritation. Which is counter thinking since I assumed it would only add to the irritation.

Just my 2 cents worth.