Expanded my den...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by nsomnac, Feb 28, 2014.

1. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Scored (sniped) what I'm hoping are some nice Gillette additions to my den from the Bay today.
    [​IMG]

I can tell the right is a slim, and the left I think is a super speed short... Not sure about the center. Is that a mini travel?

Also scored a Fatboy...
    [​IMG]

Now the question will be once they arrive, and hoping the all function - what's the best way to clean, sanitize, and polish - and would one recommend replating any of them?

Once I get them I'll post better pics.

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Very nice.

nsomnac likes this.
  3. blk05crew

blk05crew Well-Known Member

Nice, you've been busy!

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Looks like a Travel Tech.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A good thirty minute soak in room temperature water with some Dawn hand dish-washing liquid will help to gently clean the working mechanisms. Dry with a paper towel.

Follow up with a spray of scrubbing bubbles for no more than 1 minute. Again dry with a paper towel.

Go get some Flitz polish since it is safe for metals. plastics and paint (which these have two of those elements in play) and gently polish with the Flitz and a paper towel and then rinse with water and dry with a towel to remove any oxidation residue from polishing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXNJS/?tag=thshde-20

[​IMG]

PatrickA51 and nsomnac like this.
  6. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

That tiny one is sweet I need to find one for my Dopp Kit.

nsomnac likes this.
  7. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Actually only 2 auctions but still on the lookout for my birth year - 1972 Q4. A pristine one just popped up and debating whether I should go after it.

8. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Thanks! I've used some type of Flitz polish before in a paste - is this a similar formulation? As I recall it's quite mild and somewhat challenging to get a shine - but once you do, it's a decent shine.

I'd also thought about an isopropyl alcohol bath in my ultrasonic cleaner - but not sure if that would be too harsh.

There's plastic parts in these? I thought the SS was just a painted metal handle. I thought just metal and paint.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Flitz liquid is easier to use for items such as razors to prevent the possibility of gunking up any mechanisms.

Ultrasonic cleaner have in some cases removed paint from razors so go easy with any chemicals in them.

No plastics are involved that is why I stated (which these have two of those elements in play).

I hope this helps.

10. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

The black-handled one on the left looks like the first razor I bought as a teenager. I'm hoping it's still in my house somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. :(

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Do you know how Flitz is in comparison to Maas when it comes to shining up razors?

[​IMG]

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Flitz tends to be a less on the harsh side than MAAS. That is why I use it instead of MAAS. Flitz has a paint and plastics rating where MAAS does not. Too many razors use mixed materials so I just go with Flitz.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    maltedmilk likes this.
  13. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

First shipment arrived today, which was my most feared item from the bay, since it had poor pics and a seller that didn't know what they had (a biz that sells stuff at auction for you).

Cleaned it up with a soft toothbrush & some Dawn, then soaked in 50% isopropyl alcohol for 30-40 minutes and then let dry.
    [​IMG]

Still need to order some polish, but so far it looks like a got a near mint Fatboy!

Date code is E4; so how do I know if it's 1934 vs 1959? Did they even make the Fatboy adjustable in '34?

maltedmilk and blk05crew like this.
  14. blk05crew

blk05crew Well-Known Member

That turned out super nice! Congrats!

15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

They didn't make the adjustable in '34 nor did they start putting on the quarter codes until the 50's.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice finds.

17. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Thanks! The site that has all the date codes is a bit unclear - and as a newbie I've yet to find the model number to vanity name mapping.

18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Nice razors you got there!

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

20. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Nice!