Expensive cell phones?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by J_Man, Jan 4, 2020.

1. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I was recently looking at cell phones and couldn't believe how many of them are now in the $800.00 - $1000.00 price range and was wondering why anyone would want to purchase such an expensive phone?

Have any of you purchased phones in that price range?

If so why?

It's not that I can't afford one of these expensive models...it's just that I couldn't justify spending that kind of money when there were much cheaper options available that do the same thing...I know some will say it's all about the specs--processor, ram, etc, but honestly I will buy a phone that takes 8/10 of a second longer to open an app if it saves me $700.00

Maybe it's just me...Maybe I am just becoming old & out of touch.

I would love to hear your opinions on the subject.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If you want the best camera it will cost you. Personally I'm happy with a one or two year old phone with the best camera from two years ago (my Pixel 2).

If you don't care about camera quality spending that money is nuts. Ok IMHO even if you do care waiting a year for a deep discount makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    S Barnhardt and J_Man like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I used to buy whatever Motorola model was top when I reupped my phone plans. I've come to the conclusion that ultra fast processing power comes at a price. Battery life is nil within a year, and since modern phones don't have removable battery packs, it becomes an expensive paperweight.

Went with an el cheapo LG Stylo 4 last time. Impressive battery life. If it breaks, with no warranty, I'm still only looking at about $250 to replace it.
    Edit: correction, $150 for a replacement.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    jmudrick likes this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I'm in front of a laptop every day (both at home and at work) enough time that my phone doesn't need to be my computer. My employer provides a smartphone so I only have a dumbphone for my personal use. Once I retire I might find that I want a smartphone but I have issues with the way this supposed convenience has become a blood sucking ($$) necessity with planned obsolence. I sometimes wonder if person(s) might eventually rediscover old technology and form groups of like minded dial phone users (The Phone Den).

S Barnhardt, PLANofMAN and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm pretty rough on my phones. I can't justify spending for flagship models.

I normally try and go with the best deal on a mid range phone. It often requires switching carriers to get the best deal which is not a problem every couple of years (The same holds true for car insurance).

J_Man likes this.
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I use an Apple 7 plus with a cover. I've dropped it several times with no apparent damage. I've really enjoyed the larger iPhone.

J_Man likes this.
  7. J_Man

I settled on the Stylo 5 and I love it. You're right battery life is great, even on days of heavy use (14 - 15hrs) it still has 40 - 50% battery life left.

I like the functionality of a stylus [big clumsy fingers] so back when Sprint used to give me a free phone every couple of years I would always go with the Samsung Note series.

Since I no longer get a free phone every 2 years I decided to go prepaid, because I also couldn't justify spending $100 a month for phone service when I can get unlimited service on the same network for $35 a month.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. J_Man

If they would let me activate my old Motorolla Star Tac I'd be a happy camper...really loved that old flip phone, but in 05 or 06 Verizon threatened to shut it off if I didn't comply with their demands to upgrade to a GPS enabled model.

John Beeman likes this.
  9. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I'm one of those who updates to whatever the flagship model is every 3 years. I just bought the Galaxy Note 10+. I like the fact that the camera is awesome and I like having a large screen on a fast phone. I could get by with a less expensive phone, but I like what I like. I also like the feature set. I can set my phone to do different thing based on different conditions. For instance the moment I step into church the phone automatically goes in to do not disturb mode (I don't have to remember to silence my phone). It will return all ringers to normal when I leave (all based on GPS location). When I put it on the charger at night it will automatically turn on do not disturb mode and turn on the always on display (since I use it as my clock). I like these features so I have to pay for them.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

A lot of people want the latest and greatest phone and are willing to spend whatever they cost. They view it as their phone is something that they use all day long, every day, so the value is there for them.
    I buy a new phone every 3-5 years and last year I upgraded from a Sony Xperia to a Samsing Galaxy S9 when they had the Black Friday 50% off deal. Im not sure that I could bring myself to drop $1K on a phone.
    One of my buddies does all the time though. Every time Apple comes out with a new iPhone, he buys it. To him, he is like what I mentioned above: he uses his phone all day every day, so to him, its worth it.

11. J_Man

I don't disagree that they are nice phones, but I am a person that rarely does much more than make phone calls, send texts, and browse the web. In the rare instance that I need to take a pic (almost never) it doesnt need to be of professional quality and to be honest I am really amazed at how many pictures people feel the need to take these days.

As far as do not disturb features based on location, I agree that is very useful and I was able to add that function with a free app.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes I don't believe any of that requires a Note 10+ investment.

13. Preacher

We all have to do what we are good with. I like the new stuff (just not every single year). I like the new features and for ME they are worth it.

14. Preacher

Didn't say that those things required the Note 10, but I wanted the phone, so I bought it.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure. That's why we buy nice things.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I doubt it, unless they make some kind of phone jack line that connects to a wireless network. The age of landline phone networks is drawing to a close. There are not enough users to support the existing infrastructure.

It's one of the things that absolutely terrifies me. One nuclear bomb going off over the skies on the East and West coast of the U.S. would send out an EMP pulse that would reduce the country to horse and buggy days.

Our power grid is not hardened, and the overland and rail network isn't robust enough to facilitate easy replacement. Without power, fuel pumps won't operate, and just-in-time grocery food deliveries would stop. Millions would starve.

Even with outside assistance, it would take the U.S. at least ten years to recover.

John Beeman likes this.
  17. J_Man

All indeed the draw backs of living in the modern age.

A major blow to the infrastructure and we will all be back to the stone age...well at least those of us that take care not to starve and perish.

On the bright side it would really help thin the herd and improve the live stock, so to speak.

18. J_Man

I have nothing against someone spending their money on the things they enjoy.

I like expensive clothes & shoes, so for me buying a $500 dollar pair of wing-tips isn't a big deal, but some people think that's a waste of money.

To each his own life is too short, so enjoy it while you can.

jmudrick likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

How long do they last? The latest phone is only the best for about 6 months.

J_Man likes this.
  20. J_Man

A very long time is the only answer I can give you.

Some of my clothes were purchased 25+ years ago and fortunately when you stick with classic styling you don't need to upgrade very often.

S Barnhardt, Preacher and jmudrick like this.