Expensive cell phones?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by J_Man, Jan 4, 2020.

1. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Well I am just an 'Old Codger'. To me a phone is for making calls and sending texts.and a camera is for taking photos. I just use a GSM/2G phone and no one has any problem contacting me if they need to......and that includes the bank:(. I don't use social media any more as it has become too intrusive for me.

J_Man likes this.
  2. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

You sound like my kind of person.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

madmedic likes this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I kept my Samsung Galaxy S5 for 6 years and refused to give it up, until my son came along.
    In my situation, I needed a battery camera, however not the high end.
    I had an ephinany and realized I use Google everything now, and since I could have all my photos synced on the Google drive when I access my other devices, it just made sense to go with the Google pixel. I got the pixel 3, in 128gb model. I waited though til it went on sale, black Friday or some other deal like that.
    I like it, it does what I need it to do, YouTube, phone calls, text and videos and pictures of the kid for my folks.
    My wife has the Samsung Galaxy S9+ and I got it for her because she uses it like a computer and honestly, I wanted her to have something nice.
    I plan on keeping this phone, the Pixel, as long as I can, just like I did with my last one.

4. J_Man

I am the same way with phones, or atleast I try to be. I would still be on my Samsung Note 3, which I got for free a little over 5yrs ago---had I not run it over with my car...Don't ask.

5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I use a Note 3....hand me down from my wife when my flip phone died.

J_Man likes this.
  6. ordinaryshaver

When I was working for a large cell phone company that rhymes with horizon, we got a company phone. I chose the Kyocera duraforce pro. I still have it to this day, and if my pixel ever does, I'll reactive it.

I literally dropped it off a rooftop onto the concrete and picked it up, wiped off the screen and no issues. Not even so much as a scratch in the screen. Supposedly it had gorilla glass, and that stuff was durable. It wasnt the fastest phone, or the best camera, but it was just about indestructible.

7. J_Man

Can you hand it down to me? I really miss mine [insert sad face emoji here] not that there's anything wrong with the new phone. I just happen to be one of those people that get attached to things and doesn't enjoy change...I kept my first wife waaaay longer than I should have...And she used to hit me lol!

8. J_Man

I love guessing games! Was it At&t, or maybe T-Mobile?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

Close.... Straight talk

J_Man likes this.
  10. J_Man

I was so close!

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

As we've drifted into service providers I'll make my plug for Google Fi which I've been on since inception. It switches between T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular towers as needed which is great for me because T-Mobile reception is dodgy where I live. Unlimited calls and text of course, $36/mo for two people and you pay only for the data you use at $10/GB, Free data only SIMs for your tablet or second phone (eg my LG V30+). Same data rate applies overseas (I'm in Asia 2-3 months of the year)

Pixel phones and a couple others get the tower switching, most other phones are otherwise compatible but use T-Mobile towers. My daughter's Essential Phone works fine on it, as did my Dad's cheap Motorola, as does my LG with a data SIM and Google Voice.

Great plan for those who don't use a lot of data or have reception issues and enjoy pure Android of the Pixels.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Your preferred iPhone X is now a $400 phone. It was a flagship two years ago. It's performance is matched by much cheaper phones currently available. Arguably it's in the same class as LG's 2017 flagship V30 that I recently bought for $140 ( )

It again begs the question of justifying a $800-$1200 phone upon release other than simply "because I want it". Recognizing "because I want it" is as valid for an iPhone as it is for a Wolfman.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Dan The Man and J_Man like this.
  13. J_Man

@jmudrick You mentioned the Wolfman and it got me to thinking... I know the plural for Wolfman is Wolfmen, but what is it for Big-foot? If you were to see more than 1 would you say I saw a few big-foots, or Big-feet?

I don't know why but these things just pop into my head.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I like the way your brain works. You're not related to George Carlin are you?

J_Man likes this.
  15. J_Man

Nah, couldn't be so lucky.

And now I start thinking about my computer mouse...I have several, so is it mouses, or mice in this case?

I may have just hijacked my own thread.

jmudrick likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    The rural bumpkins call them Bigfoots, the city folk call them bigfeet.

I call it Chewie.

J_Man likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, I see I am not the only one to use Boost Mobile. We pay $110 for three phones, unlimited talk, text, and internet. We have been using them for many years, after being screwed over by the other major carriers. It piggybacks off of the Sprint towers, and we get very good reception, except in some remote areas of Kalifornia and Kolorado. But those with other providers were having issues too.

J_Man likes this.
  18. J_Man

I think for the price it's a great deal and I have only lost service once, which was in the Hamptons back in 2014. Must have been an issue with Sprint, because I had service when I arrived, then lost it for an entire week. Everyone else was on Verizon and had great service.

I will also add that the LTE speeds in my area have improved beyond my expectations. Initially LTE speeds were nothing impressive in the beginning, but later increased to an average of 28+Mbps. I did a few speed tests over the past week and speeds have consistently been 90-100Mbps, which for Sprint is unbelievable because in my area they were always the slowest...Not to mention the fact that the LTE rollout here was a major disaster. They pushed out an update called "Sprint Spark" which was a VOLTE update for all of the compatible devices and it didn't work. You couldn't recieve incoming calls while your phone was in the LTE, or as Sprint called it "Spark" mode.

The only Solution was to keep your new 4g LTE phone in 3g CDMA mode at all times, which totally defeated the purpose of owning a 4g LTE phone. It took Sprint around 2yrs to fix the problem.

I think they finally got their act together, but the 5g rollout has begun, so who knows if they will drop the ball on this one.

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

On consumer behavior, mostly people do what I do apparently which is not buy the latest show off piece at launch. Despite all the holiday hype 50% more people activated ancient iPhone 7 and 8 models than the new iPhone 11 models. [​IMG]

20. J_Man

I take back everything that I have said. I'm just gonna finance this phone over 10 years! It's only $20k and while the specs may not be impressive, my bragging rights sure will be.

Why? Because "I want it" and I couldn't find any Wolfmen for sale.[​IMG]