Face has been looking rough lately...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Capt America, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

I don't know what it is... but my face has been looking rough the past couple weeks.

The 8th I got a slant and used it once, and afterward decided I'd put the DE's down for a while and go back to cartridges since my face never looked rough while I used them. My face had been looking rough before that (the 8th) but doesn't seem to have made any improvement. My skin/face never responded badly to cartridges before I started shaving with DE's, but it seems like the DE's have conditioned my face in a way where it no longer appreciates the cartridges.

I had been using DE's for probably 7 months before this problem popped up so I'm really sort of clueless here.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    More info please.

New soap, cream, aftershave, blades, what?

God forbid you've developed an allergy to badger hair! :eek:

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Slow down and take a breath, Cap'n.
    How would you describe "rough" ?
    Scrapes, bumps, splotches? Other problems ?
    Tell us.
    Were here to help. ;)

4. rick

Slant. check...
    What blades are you using in it ?
    Are you going ATG with it ?
    Are you allergic to some product(s) you are using ?

5. Capt America

Capt America Member

I guess I have been trying new soap... but that is pretty much it.

And I've just started using aftershave regularly, but this was a problem before that. In fact, this was a problem before I started using my new soaps.

I think, for now, I'll use Tabac, and just Tabac since that is the soap I started with.

I'd describe it as bumps mainly, but there are different kinds of bumps I believe. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

6. rick

If you want to stay with the Slant...
    Go WTG only for a cuppa - few days.
    If you have a Feather in there...get it out !
    Try a Derby or [insert your fave blade here] instead.
    Slant ! A good razor
    But, if careless, can bite you.
    WTG is best.

7. herzi

herzi Active Member

Some skin healing cream applied in the evening (if you shave at the mornig) might help.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

That's what I do when my face feels a little rough. Pure, unrefined shea butter is my little secret of healing the skin literally over night.

9. paydepst

paydepst Member

If you do have a Feather in that Slant by all means yank it out, lighten the pressure, and forgo the ATG if you are doing it.
    Situations like this it is best to get back to wetshaving basics and this seems to be what you are doing. You migh even consider going slantless for a wee bit. Returning to the cartridge and the greater pressure they can tempt you to apply might be the worst thing you can do. Do you have a mild DE in your possession? Like one of the SSs or a Schick Krona? Pair it with an Israeli or a Derby. The 7am blades are good too. If you don't have one pm me your posting address and I'll send you one. They're good Swedish steel at a fraction of the Gillette Swedes and they aren't overly harsh. Good luck!

10. Capt America

Capt America Member

Any idea where I can find this here in the states?

11. herzi

herzi Active Member

The only source I know is olivia-seife.de but it's not in the states.

12. rick

I use 100% pure Shea butter from
    L'Occitane.
    Good Stuff.

13. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

As Rick said, L'Occitane would be a good source

14. herzi

herzi Active Member

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I think you're going through wetshaving "growing pains". I have been at it for over a year, and I'll admit to roughing my face up every now and again....then grabbing a sensor-razor from the closet, and chucking it after 1/2 pass the next morning.

Then, I grab the DE razor, focus, and get back in stride and its all good :D

16. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I posted something similar on B&B in my early weeks at the craft. I had this problem a lot when I first started DE shaving. I learned to shave using Method Shaving and the lather was too slick for my poor technique. My face looked RAW after every shave. It was very smooth but it looked terrible. I realized Charles products did not suit me.

Next, I learned to use less pressure. Just because there aren't any cuts and the blade isn't dragging doesn't mean you aren't using too much pressure. Especially if you're using a Slant, you should try using less pressure. Even if it feels like it's not doing anything, if the blade is on your skin it's doing something.

Also, if you're using an aggressive razor like a Slant, you might not have to do as many passes. In my effort for BBS shaves in the beginning, I went over the same area way too many times. My face looked beat up because it was beat up.

After fixing these things, problem solved. YMMV.

17. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

In the past when that happened to me ...I did the following:

Changed to a less aggressive razor....in my case a Gillette Tech.

Reduced the number of passes. No point in chasing a BBS shave. I just wanted to look presentable.

I used a standard facial moisturiser...rather than an aftershave balm.

After a few days.....it was business as usual!

18. Will

Will Nevermind

Every one skrews up buy trying new things, trying too hard.

I say use a weak razor with a weak blade (SS and IP come to mind) for a while with 1 WTG pass.

Let your self heal up then get back on the expariment horse.