Family Gift and Story

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by djwurm, Jan 27, 2009.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Well my Grandmother heard I had really gotten into using a brush and a DE razor to shave and that I had a new addiction and was really embracing the old way of shaving. Well the other day she presented me with a brush in a stand and told me it belonged to my Great Grandfather and he used it everyday of his life that she can remember.

She said one of her greatest memories of her dad was watching him in the morning shaving before he would head out on the farm to do a hard days work at keeping the crops and animals healthy. She remembers the brush and watching him lather with it. It was one of the only possessions she got when he died and she passed it along to me.

Here is some pictures of the brush. It says Erskine imported pure badger 300 on the bottom. The handle is sterilized rubber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very nice brush and story. Do you plan on using it or just displaying it?

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

That is freakin cool. Awesome story.

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

That's a great piece of family history. I think you should use it at least once to have that connection with your great-grandfather. Then display it or use it as you see fit.

Congratulations on a wonderful gift.

5. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Im not sure if I will ever use it. I need to clean it up and disinfect it first. Then I might use it once and after that it will be on permanent display in my shaving den.

I was real proud of receiving this gift.

6. ssilcox

ssilcox Member

That is such a beautiful story. That is one of my favorite things about this "hobby" - such a strong connection with our past. What a cool thing.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great story. And that is a Beautiful brush.

Just my .02 worth. If he used it everyday I bet he would be happy if you did also. I have my grandfathers 57 SS. I use it at least once every week. He has been gone for over 10 years now but it makes me feel closer too him.

Fuzzy

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Great story, nice lookin brush, good memories! Your Grandmother is top notch! :cool:

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

That too much of a coincidence. My favorite shaver is my Great Grandfather's 57 SS.

+1 more to a great story. While many of us start for a great shave, so much more keeps us going.

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

That's an awesome story and great looking brush, in great condition. Definitely something to cherish until you get the chance to pass it on.

11. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Thank you for that story.

12. djwurm

djwurm New Member

does anyone know any history behind the Erskine brushes? like when they were made and where?

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The SS is my favorite razor because it was his... it is not however my favorite razor to shave with.. it has to many sides to the blade for that:D

Fuzzy

14. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing!

15. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

That is a fantastic gift. If it were mine I would be tempted to use it often.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the story with us!

17. MJL

MJL New Member

That really is a great story. It's always nice to own a real piece of family history :)

18. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Splendid story.

Enjoy that brush, even if you don't use it.