Farewell to a well used companion

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by battle.munky, May 24, 2016.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I guess that in every brush's life there has to come an end. Whether it be from it's owner dying and being left to weather away time in a drawer until it is discovered by a family or TSD member at an estate sale, or being lost on a trip, or just because something happened and its bristles decide to start falling out.

I mentioned it about a year ago that my Vulfix 404 Grosvenor (the hybrid boar/badger) was beginning to lose a few hairs here or there. Well, I found a job and have to move so I packed up my stuff, along with some select shaving gear, on an advanced party from the family so I could scope out and secure some living quarters and such. Among the aforementioned "select" shave gear was my trusty and much highly regarded Vulfix 404. I've been using it exclusively for the last 3 weeks and no matter how much I try or ask or cry, the old hybrid is losing more and more hair/bristle every shave. Up to about 10 every shave now, if not more.

As much as it pains me, I'm going to have to replace the knot with something different. As soon as I get my tools here I'm thinking of replacing it with a synthetic knot.

It really sucks folks, and those of you who have dealt with similar, you have my empathy, and those of you who haven't, brace yourself, it will happen at some point. Its been a great brush and I recommend it to anyone. It has been about 6 years, give or take a few months, I was hoping for much longer but it ain't playing out that way.

In all seriousness, it has been a great brush but I'm not nearly as attached as the above may sound, it is just a tool anyhow. I'm looking for recommendations on a good synth knot. Thinking a Whipped Dog 24. Please feel free to suggest. I'll probably acrete any and all suggestions and pull the trigger sometime next week.

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Your brush has died an honorable death and will earn a place in Stovokor. I'm also glad for you that you found a job. I'm sure you'll prosper..and shave long..

macaronus, Jasman, Ursa and 3 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Better to have loved and lost...
    Hope you find the perfect replacement knot.

4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your brush. Maggards sells knots in 2 sizes. I believe they are the same as the Maggard brush, and those are the plisson type of knot, very soft and whip up a good lather.

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I have both a Maggard and WD synthetic. Both are great knots. The Maggard for me is a bit better. It has a bit more backbone but at the same time is softer on the face. I usually prefer a scratchy brush like a Boar. But that Maggard has an indescribable feeling that is oh so pleasing.

Tom

6. battle.munky

Can't really beat Maggard's prices....

7. battle.munky

I ordered the 24 mm from Maggards. I have a few other empty handles waiting on a reknot so I'm thinking I may grab one from Whipped dog too. Not sure though.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Robyflexx like this.
  8. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

You could just replace the Vulfix - they're still selling them. I really like synthetics too, but I love my old boar & badger Omega 11047 and will replace it when necessary. I bought the RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush and it is definitely the new "star" of my shave show. I've enjoyed all the different types of shaving brushes that I've tried, (I've yet to try a horsehair) with the exception of an early synthetic (maybe back in 2010) that felt like bristles in a soft toothbrush, only 65mm long -- really horrible! But these new synths are lightyears better IMO.

[​IMG]
    RazoRock Disruptor

9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Excellent choice! The 24mm Maggard brushes are great. They whip up a lather very fast, and feel nice on the skin. Enjoy!

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

11. battle.munky

I'm super excited....it's supposed to be here tomorrow!

Along with some Fine soap too. A Tabac of a different scent, it had me at hello.

opsimath and Robyflexx like this.
  12. battle.munky

I got impatient waiting on my dremel and used an old Eveready I had.

I'm really digging the knot. Just like everybody has said, it is a breeze to use on every level. I like my other brushes but this may have me put them away for a while.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. battle.munky

Edit: its a Rubberset, not an Eveready.