Fat Boy for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Jan 16, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

what about a Fat Boy for a beginner in the DE world?

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

On 3 or 4 it sounds fine to me.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

One of my first razors. Fantastic shavers, for a new guy, or veteran.

4. tom myers

tom myers Member

It can be a very good choice. So can one of the newer model adjustables like a Slim or a black handled Superadjustable. One thing I would suggest though . . . Start with one of the lower settings like 2 or 3, and stick with it for several shaves. Don't make any adjustments until you have some consistancy to your technique. Similarly, don't change blade brands until you've used one brand for several shaves unless you find one you really just can't tolerate.

When you do decide to experiment with another setting on the razor, don't change something else, like blade brands, at the same time. If you change one thing at a time, you will be better able to evaluate what's wrong if something isn't to your liking. If you change two things at once, you won't know what may be causing a problem with your shave.

Welcome and good luck with your adjustable.

Regards,
    Tom

5. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

It's a great razor that will grow with you down the road. It's one of my top 3 favorites.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Its fine. Any razor is fine for a beginner. If its an adjustable, just set it low and LEAVE IT. Dont go changing anything around or you'll never get your technique down and always blade it on the razor and blade combo.

7. sas71

sas71 Member

i was set on a Weishi for my first SR but i figured the fat boy or maybe one of the other vintage adj, would be the only razor id need for a while. i know i get the bug for a few more but since money is tight right now i wanted to make my first buy count. i still may go with the weishi for $15 that wont break me and if nothing else it will look good sitting on the shelf

i have one of those travel gillettes , i should have bought a cheap longer handle for it and gave it a whirl but i sold it this week ..hindsight

8. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I would say the Fatboy would be a good starter. I prefer the slim adjustable though. I you have larger hands maybe the fatboy. Essentialy they are the same IMO with different sized handles of course.

9. Hi there,

A fatboy's very good for a first razor, but the Weishi may not be the one you want for a long term razor. As you probably know, they're known to be very mild, which can be good or bad. The problem is that, for most people, they're most effective using a very sharp blade (like a feather) in em. That will kinda limit you to trying other, milder blades which may suit your face much better. I've never used a Weishi, but have read lots about those. Well made razors, but very mild. That means it can be very difficult to get as close a shave as you might like.

As mentioned by other members above, the slim or super adjustables are also very good choices. The super has by far the longest handle, and might feel more natural having used a cartridge system till now. The slim handle is less than 1/2 inch longer than a fatboy, so length doesn't much matter there.

The thing is though, the fatboy is a good bit different from those other two razors. Weight, (and how it's distributed), handle grip and diameter, and actual design of the head are some things that set it apart. I'd say the slim or fatboy fans are about equally divided here and on other forums. They really do shave differently though, as you'll probably eventually find out.....heh.

Set the adjustment on #3, which is the high end of the mild settings. That works for most, but not all members. The main thing is to leave it there until your technique improves a good bit..........weeks usually. You give yourself the best chance of using a setting that isn't too aggressive or uncomfortable by having that adjustment feature available. This way, you can tweak things to your liking, once you know what direction to go in.

Anyway, whatever you end up with should be fine, and I hoped that helped with your confusion.
    Martin