Fat Boy Vs slim adjustable.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kypros Christodoulides, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    it's me again, Kypros the newbie.

Today I received my first I3 slim adjustable.
    I put it next to the fat boy and I can see a difference on the dome of the head and the handle. The slim has a lower head and slimmer handle. Apart from that I cannot detect any other difference.

I haven't shaved with it as I have shaved last night, but I want to know if there is any other difference between the two and also I'd be curious to know whether they shave any differently on the same setting, in my case @7.
    thank you.

Demidog and Bobcat like this.
  2. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the slim, as you mentioned lower (thinner) head profile just worked better for me under my nose. Both shave great and probably a mental thing but the slim overall was smoother to me. The fat boy may be more aggressive. On slim I use 6-7 for first pass on fat boy would be a 5. I am no expert others will provide more (and probably more accurate) details for you.

3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I agree with dbersh.
    To me a FB on 3 shaves like a slim on 5. Those are my prefers settings. I find most razors shave differentially. It's not just the dial. Weight, blade exposure, head shape, balance and lots of other things play a factor. You can try to over think it but I prefer the rotation method. Shave with all your razors and after several months of testing if you just don't like one sell it. I don't try to figure out why. Too many variables all interplaying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  5. Kypros Christodoulides

Sound advise mikewood,
    I'm still in the process of choosing my faves. So fat it's the fat boy, the X3 slant and the E4 Schick injector. From my two fat boys, I do prefer the one over the other (same setting on both) as I find the one I like as aggressive but a little smoother. Nothing so far though has beaten the injectror for smoothness. The slant is smooth enough but not as aggressive as I would have wished, but shaves BBs all the time no problem.

Jim99 likes this.
  6. Kypros Christodoulides

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    One other difference is that of the adjuster dials. On the Slim, the numbers align with the knurled part, while the Fatboy, numbers align with the flats. Check it out.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I started shaving with the Slim first, and liked it a lot. When I first shaved with a Fatboy razor, it all became clear, the Fatboy razor was for me. The feel of the head and handle were near perfect. If only the handle of the Fatboy were about 1/2 inch longer, it would be perfection.

9. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

That's a good point. I always thought the BF could stand to me a bit longer and I wish the it came with a ball end. Then again a guy with a machine shop could fab something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Kypros Christodoulides

You are so observant, I wouldn't have seen this in a million years of examination.

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Definitely, the head angle is the key for me.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I like and use them both, Slim on 6, Fat Boy on 5.

stanko likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Keep all my Gillette adjustables set at 6.

15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Bit of a change in shaving angle, weight distribution and handle differences are my razor difference between the two. I save at 6 with both. Some weeks I'll love the Fatboy other weeks I'll love the Slim. What's not to love in Vintage?

Baz4262, preidy, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.