Fat handle tech ID

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by pizzaguy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

I just picked up what I think is a fat handle tech how can you tell what year it is I was surprised by how nice it cleaned up Thanks for your help:D

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Date code on the underside of the razor head, and the Geocities site will tell you the year.

3. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

The fat Techs are generally too old to have date codes, which only started appearing on razors around 1951.

4. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

Thanks

The one I found is silver and I came across one that was brass I did not know they made both --- and does anyone like the shave with these

5. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed New Member

Yes, Gillette made both a silver and a gold colored version. Like any Tech, they are excellent (mild) shavers and should serve you very well for many years to come!!!;)

Congratulations and ENJOY...
    --Morrie

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

7. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

yup

Thanks I did not shave with it yet but man it cleaned up nice they also had a copper looking one I may try to pick up are they just as good

thanks

8. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

The copper looking ones started out as gold but the finish got worn or polished off. They shave the same but are worthless to collectors. Usually it's the result of someone trying to clean or polish one with a power tool or harsh chemical. The gold plate is only a few microns thick under a coat of lacquer and it's extremely easy to remove.

Richard