Fatboy Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Jan 29, 2009.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I do not have nor tried a Fatboy at this point but have a couple of questions. What is the attraction/allure of these razors? Do they shave that much better than other adjustables?? Are they rare? cuz they don't seem to be. I would like to know if I should get one or ???

Thanks in advance and enjoy your shave

2. Truckman

Truckman New Member

A Fatboy was my second razor. It very quickly became my favorite, out of the two. I've since expanded some since, and it is still the one I come back to and compare other razors to.

I think you definitely owe it to yourself to try one. If you don't like it, you can always sell it, it'll go rather quick. However, I'm quite sure you'll keep it.

3. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

The Gillette Fatboy was the Pinnacle of DE razor design.
    The Slim, well it looks like a skinny guy with a big head.
    After that we enter the age of plastic.
    When you hold a Fatboy in your hand you know you have some serious shaving hardware

4. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I must be a rare dissenter. The Fat Boy doesn't do it for me.Much too bulky.Give me a H.D.Rocket or an aggressive open comb such as a Muhle R89 any day. It is a candidate for the most over-rated D/E however.

5. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

The Fatboy looks cool. I prefer the Slim.

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'll take my SuperSpeed over my Fatboy anyday. The real kicker is I'd say that even if the Fatboy wasn't a 1/2 copper coloured PIF. I do get good shaves with a few blades in the Fatboy, but never the best shaves. YMMV and such...

7. lsbrodsky

lsbrodsky New Member

I have been working my way through a series of razors, for fun. I am new at this and my first razor was a Progress. I have about 5 razors now with a couple more on the way. I am convinced I get my best shaves from my Fatboy with either a Derby or a Feather. I get a BBS with fewer passes(3 plus touch up), and I do not need to be as careful as the Progress requires. IMHO the Fatboy is/was a great razor.
    Larry

8. ssilcox

ssilcox Member

The Fatboy is a great razor. You have to like a shorter handle and a more hefty razor to really enjoy it though. As far as the actual shave goes, I find it very similar to my Slim.

9. bubalu

bubalu New Member

I bought a 1960 Fatboy in very good, if not excellent condition a little more than a month ago. After about a 4 shave adjustment period (I was using a SS), I love this razor. It seems to have nice weight and balance. The biggest surprise for me was its maneuverability and forgiveness. I get much better shaves with this over my SS.

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

The FatBoy is the epiphany of vintage razors, it also represents the 50's and the 60's very well. Great design and built when we still made the good stuff ourselves in the western world. I like the FatBoy a lot (It's probably not my #1 razor, but it's got a top position).

11. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

My Fatboy loaded with a new Astra Super Platinum is as close to shaving heaven as it gets with a DE.

I own two.

12. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

GO GREEN!!

13. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I have a couple of all the Gillette adjustables. The FatBoy is the heftiest, best built. No doubt about it. Is it the better shaver? Not a shot!! The slimmer profile of the Slim and the Super natually afford a better shave. I personally prefer the feel of the Slim in my hands. But, I will admit that the Super might give a marginally better shave. That is, up until Gillette decided to put a plastic baseplate in the frickin' things. They really went downhill then..............

14. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Like Johan said, many feel the Fat Boy is the pinnacle of adjustable razors. The design, styling, engineering and feel of a Fat boy is unmatched by any other production Gillette. The handle grip is just the right diameter for a mans hand and has secure knurling.

Here's yesterday shave with a Fat Boy, wonderful!

[​IMG]

15. rollsshaver

A lower profile head would have made it the "Perfect" adjustable.........

16. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

...in your opinion...

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I should have added that I don't shave my lip so I really don't have a need for a really low profile razor.

18. rollsshaver

Of course, it is my opinion. I would not give someone elses opinion. That would be stange.........

Not to mention I might then be accused of suffering from some rare form of shaving induced schizophrenia!! Yikes!!!!

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Ahh, well, you confused opinions and facts in another thread so I wasn't really sure...

I wouldn't expect anything less... ;)

20. rollsshaver

You have a valid point. I will now extract my foot from my mouth......... :rolleyes: