Fatboy Questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Feb 9, 2012.

1. senex

senex Member

Where do you get $20 Fat Boy razors from?
    Every one I have bided on has gone for far more than that, I haven't seen much in the way of any Gillette usable adjustable to go for $20.
    I bided on a seized, unusable Fat Boy with most of the plating gone and pitted brass all over and it went for over $20 and over $30 with the postage.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Local junk shops. Really though, a Fat Boy IMHO is nothing to get worked up about.

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Seeing a fatboy disassembled does bring to mind the "all the Kings horses. and all the Kings me..." quote....
    Stingrays' fix is golden...works on Super-Speeds, Fatboys, Slims, and all Gillette TTO's....It's the real-deal...
    I'm so glad Dridecker got it up and running...Jeff put that together so nicely...even I can pull it off...Bravo Jeff!!

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I just received my fatboy with the droopy bottom that started this conversation. I cleaned it up and it does have a 1/4 inch or so droop. It's workable whether I repair it or not and has fairly smooth head.

alpla444 likes this.
  5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I saw the thread on how to take apart the fatboy looks great, (If only I could get mine open!! at the bottom Ill keep trying)
    Glad you got yours cant wait to hear how it is for you.:)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A little late to this, but I have three Fatboys and paid a total for $4. All three in very good shape.
    One was a gift from a co-worker
    The other two were $2 each - antique store finds.

7. AwNix

AwNix Member

I had a FB that had that had that "push up" problem. Sold it and another Fat Boy it came with that were not in very good condition. Made only about $35. Paid less though.

You shouldn't intentially buy TTO's that need work (unless they are super rare perhaps). I've bought used lawn mowers, bicycles, etc that seem like they need only a little work but it always end up being a pain and costing a bunch money to get things working and it's never worth it in the end. Same w/ razors. You don't want to be stuck w/ something you can only hope to make your money back on! Buy the best you can w/ the money you have.

If a razor doesn't perform as it should or has missing teeth look around and try to replace it if you can. You will be glad you did! If you can't replace it you can just move onto something entirely different. :)