Favorite Preshave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Briscoe, May 5, 2018.

1. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I use Taconic Pre Shave Natural Unscented, I am looking to see what everyone likes so I can add to my collection.

RyX likes this.
  2. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

The shave cream I happen to use that day...after I wet my face I rub it on my face, strop my razor then lather up..softens the whiskers like no ones business.

Briscoe and RyX like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Taconic Unscented is very nice.

I also have and enjoy:

Truefitt & Hill
    Maggard
    Handsome Robs
    Somersets
    ShaveSecret

You might also consider making your own. I’ve made a couple of batches and been happy with the results.

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm in. I've tried three. In order of preference - Proraso Pre-shave cream (green), Musgo Real (original lime), and Shave Secret oil (meh).

Been using Proraso (and COBigelow) soaps, and aftershave lotion and splash. The Green is menthol & eucalyptus scented. A dab of the cream goes on a wet face, spreads around easily, and kicks right in with the cool. I've also tried other shave soaps over the green P preshave. I'm thinking I might pick up the Red for use with sandalwood soaps.

Limited experience with Musgo. A sample on a soap passaround. I sniffed the product, liked the scent, tried to lather it thinking it was shave soap. Did shave with it and don't blame the maker for my reading the details afterward.

I gave Shave Secret oil a month's tryout. When I stopped using it at the end of the test the only difference I noted was the loss of the slightly bay rum scent. If it wasn't so inexpensive I'd have mailed it to someone else.

5. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I will definitely look into to those.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. JCull

JCull New Member

I use and have right now Proraso green, white. I also have lab series 3 in 1 oil. Oil I’ve used twice and have had some pretty awsome shaves. But I’m also using soap I haven’t tried before so hard to tell. Either way the 3 in 1 does not smell bad in fact it hardly smells at all. But all three are great!

MVeeI and RyX like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i have and use proraso white mostly, green and red .i also use mickey lee lavender pre shave from time to time...

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The PAA cube is pretty darn good.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Apply shave soap to my face and let it sit for a minute, wash it off with hot water, then apply some Corn Huskers hand lotion. Its mostly glycerine, works great for me, I can still find it locally and it's very inexpensive. I've also used Proraso preshave in the same way. :happy088:

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Our favorites are my homemade pre-shave oils in a variety of scents.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

The big blue tub of Noxema Classic Clean in the shower stall. I wash my face first with the Dove unscented bar, rinse off and apply a thin layer of Noxema and let that work as a pre shave while I finish the rest of the shower. Then rinse off the Noxema and head to the sink for a shave with whatever I've chosen to lather up that day.

12. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

I make my own, which is mainly olive oil with a little mineral oil. I have a coarse beard and I'm here to say that it makes a big difference.

Sara-s likes this.
  13. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

I never tried Pre Shave oils.
    Noxzema , Proraso Green and white Pre Shave creams are really good for my taste.
    Noxzema is a little more oily than Proraso's. I usually use Noxzema on winters. Proraso Green is great for summers. I use white one not only as Pre Shave , i use it as after shave, too.
    I really like all of them.

14. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Shea Moisture Shave Butter Creme. I use it religiously as a pre-shave.

Great moisturizing properties and provides a wonderful base layer for the 1st pass.

Mediocre, at best, on its own. I beat that horse to death...

0d4dc42a-92fb-4805-b435-5e3ee223fe30_1.3af9f7942cb75441832490f3f1abf738.jpeg