favorite se razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RABIDMONKEY, Jul 7, 2011.

1. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

thinking Im wanting to try a se razor since they dont make them new , guess im going to look on ebay , I just dont know enough about these razors to know what I should get , any paticular ones you guys would recomend to help narrow the search down .... and price I should pay. I already have a pack of treet carbon se blades just need to pick a pony

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just what works for me:

Gem MicroMatic Open Comb
    Gem Jr. Lather Catcher
    Gem MicroMatic Clog Pruf
    Gem Push Button

I've refuse to recommend the Treet carbon blades, but that's me. I use Gem blades with great comfort and smoothness. I get 'em at ShopRite. TSD Store carries them, as well.

As for pricing, I've found mine at antique shops and I don't think I've paid more that $10-$12 for any SE.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Favorite SE razors:

Gem Jr. Lather Catcher
    1912 Gem/Ever Ready
    1914 Ever Ready
    1924 Ever Ready
    Gem G-Bar

Blades:

Gem Blue Star
    Stainless Gem from Walgreens
    #1: TPFE coated stainless GEM from tedpella.com

4. Tiggercat

Tiggercat New Member

Absolutely love the Gem G-Bar.

5. Old Man Army

Old Man Army Member

While I don't have the extensive collection of some of the other members, I really like my Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf. In fact, I shaved with it this morning. I don't know if it's the angle of the head, but it does an amazing job on the wild hair on my neck. I use Treet blades and on the advice of Hoosier Trooper, take extra care at the end of the shave to remove and dry the blade. Otherwise they have a tendency to rust.

6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I just have one SE razor, but I really like it and got a great shave the first time I used it and every time after that. I have a Gem 1912 Jr with the ornate handle. Great razor and if you like the sound of your whiskers being cut, this is the razor for you. It gives you amazing audio feedback that lets you know you are doing the job.

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The 1912 is a must have for every SE user. PM me your address and I'll PIF you an Ever-Ready 1912 thatt ain't the prettiest one around, but it works fine and you can see whether you like using them before buying one from the 'bay.

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

:happy096

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Way to go, Tom! :happy088:happy088

Man, I love this place!!

10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice PIF Tom, that's awesome. And great name too!

11. paydepst

paydepst Member

GEM G-Bar--nothing like it!!

12. themba

themba Member

First off I like all SE razors :D However, when I comes to shaving, there are those that I do not care for. This is because of my though flat curly whiskers, which most razor have trouble with. (Making multiple passes and finding flat whiskers that still remain is usually my problem :mad:). I am also a feather pressure, WTG only, 2 pass shaver, (Keeps me from getting ingrown hairs with my hair type) so razors I use have to fit these stringent criteria.

Razor I use:
    Ever Ready 1924 is my main razor
    AutoStrop (before the company became Valet AutoStrop) A1 and A2 razors.
    Star lathercatcher (Star version of the Gem Junior Bar) The Star works better for me than the Gem Junior Bar.
    Ever Ready 1914
    C.V Heljestrand
    Micromatic Clog Pruf
    Henckels Rapide

While I can understand why many like the 1912, it was never effective for me as a shaver. However it is a razor I would recommend to all but those with my hair type. The Damaskeene and Treet Clog Pruf variants worked better.

13. Garyg

Garyg Member

Streamline would be the last I would give up from my cold dead hands ..

Attached Files:

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Would love to try one someday.

Its good to see a lot of love for the G-bar in the above lists!

15. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

My personal favorites, of the ones I have, are a Gem Junior Bar, and a Kampfe Star Cru-Steel lather catcher. I didn't mention them in the first version of this post because they're a little harder to find at a reasonable price; I just got lucky.

Any of the 1912 style ones, Gem, Ever-Ready, and Star, are fine. They are easy to find for not too much money. They are incredibly user-friendly and give a close shave.

The Pushbutton, G-Bar, and Featherweight are all a step down from this in my opinion, but still good.

Out of the Micromatics, the open comb is a little challenging, but works well once you get the knack. The Bullet Tip and Clog-Pruf are milder, particularly the Bullet Tip, but you can get a good shave with them when you find the angle.

I get a couple of good shaves from the Treet blades, but they rust fairly quickly. I'd use up the pack you've got, then get some Gem stainless ones.

16. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yep, the 1912 woulda been my recommendation for a nice entry into the world of S/E's too, and kudos to you for your generous offer! :happy096

:sihns011 I know some gents dislike the newer models, but I've always gotten very nice shaves from the G-Bar and push button models myself.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I prefer the 1912. Didn't really care for the feather lite or whatever it was called so I pif'd it. MMs were just wayyyy too unfriendly for my taste.

18. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Well, the 1912 is on it's way to Florida, hopefully to start another SE addiction!:happy102

My favorite is the 1912 Damaskeenes, followed very closely by the 1914 Ever-Ready and then the Micromatic Clog pruf. I like using the later models but I believe the early ones are more efficient. All SE's are great!

19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very Nice Tom.

The only SE that I have tried was a well experienced OCMM PIF by Slivovitz to a member on B&B that didn't care for it and then to me. I am 5 shaves in and after my initial discomfort, I am falling for the razor. It is not much of a looker, but it shaves exceptionally. If I happen upon another OCMM, I definitely am not just going to pass it by.

20. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Hmm, interesting. I actually PIFed OCCMs to 2 people on B&B after ending up with 4 of them (comes from buying razors in lots). I'm glad that whichever person it was, passed it on to somebody else once he was done with it.:)