Feather AS-D2 Price Disparity

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by North Coast Viking, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Hello, All—a number of years since I have posted; been sporting facial-fur, which I’m over, now, time to get back to scraping my face, the right way...
    In my earlier wet-shaving beginnings, I lusted over the Feather AS-D1, but price was a deterrent; I have since decided to start spending my kids’ inheritance. A few months back, West Coast Shaving was offering AS-D2 around $185, is now $239! Meanwhile, an Amazon marketer has them ~$160–anyone understand the big difference in a “new” razor? Does Feather offer factory seconds to marketers, or blems, or is WCS gonna play the short-supply “Covid card” like many other marketers of other goods do? Anyone have insider 411? Thanx in advance for your input!

brit likes this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Those packaged without the stand are less.

danbuter, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Idk about pricing trends, but I got an asd2 in a large lot that I bought.
    I can't speak highly enough of it, but still a $10 tech shaves similar to me.
    The main difference is the weight which far exceeds any tech...though a vintage Gillette Big Boy would rival it, and cost maybe $100.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I agree with @Old School , don't buy the Feather unless you are positive you enjoy mild razors with sharp blades. If a Gillette Tech is your favorite razor, paired with a Feather, then the AS-D2 is right up your alley.

The difference between the AS-D1 and AS-D2, is that the AS-D1 was machined from solid billet stainless steel. The AS-D2 is MIM (Metal Injection Molding) stainless, and has represented the pinnacle of razor manufacturing technology thus far. iKon has also made MIM razors for years as well, and I understand that Blackland is starting MIM production too. The Feather SS Artist Club is also MIM, and the DX might be as well, though the DX has far more machine work than the SS.

Edit: One other point, Feather and Kai razors cost double outside of Japan. They control the export channels pretty throughly, and use few importers. You are pretty much forced to pay what the importer charges.

I also agree with Bill, the difference in price is due to the stand being included on one of those Sku's.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    danbuter, brit, Tedolph and 4 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :eatdrink013:

brit and chazt like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

@PLANofMAN thanks for the background info!
    Just curious, if MIM is the pinnacle of stainless steel razor creation, why then was the move by Mühle from MIM to CNC manufacturing for the Rocca seen as a positive step?

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Three words. Poor manufacturing tolerances. iKon used to have issues with that too. As far as I know, Feather has never had QC issues with their MIM razors.

Eeyore, Edison Carter and brit like this.