Feather BLADES FULL review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Dec 9, 2014.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Hey everybody, I post alot of stuff on the website and this being a 2nd review for everyone out there that is thinking about buying, or already bought and waiting to be shipped or newbie that has no idea what their doing REVIEW of feather blades for your safety razor.

Currently my daily safety razor is a Merkur 34c and Lord Platinum blade. Quick few points, I have only been DE shaving for a few months and learned a few things along the way. I do not consider myself a pro or know it all about shaving cause I dont! Finally, this review is my experience, everybodys face and razor experience is different.

Here Goes:

I ordered a 20pack on ebay for $7.99 + $1.93 for shipping = total of $9.92 I wanted to see what all the talk was about and if it would take shaving to the next level and get as close as possible by switching to a sharper blade.

Closeness - 8
    Tug & Pull - 4
    Aggressiveness - 7

Honestly did not LOVE the shave, it was a good shave but not AMAZING. Using different blades / razors definitely helps if your looking for works bests for you.

1st Pass:
    No cuts, somewhat close

2nd Pass
    Alot closer, few nicks (from irritation and pimples, not clean nic)

3rd Pass
    Final pass, clean up pass nothing impressive.

The only thing I will note on these blades is the blade tends to stick a little to your skin vs. my LORDs do. My lord the blade does not stay on my face as the feathers did. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Again this is only my FIRST shave with feathers, I truly believe you know after using a 5pk if you love that blade or not, NOT just 1st shave.

Also, I realized the longer you let your facial hair grow, you get a much better shave and much closer than you would if you have 1-2 day stubble.

Reason for Purchase: I wanted to try lol I also want to try Voskod and few others, but right now LORDs are still my favorite.

thats really it, hope you enjoyed my review!

Comments / Questions / Final Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice Steve!

3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Thanks for the review. I use a Feather in my 34c and I have to be careful to not use too much pressure with this mild razor or I will get a little burn. I can get away with a lot of extra buffing on some of my problem areas on my neck, for that BBS but will pay with some burn. When I put a Feather in my FB on 5 I get a great shave by letting the heavy head of the FB do the work.

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Great review Steve!

5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Nice review and thanks for sharing. If the Lord blades work better for you, it's a much more cost effective way to shave. Feather's are nice and sharp, and I think everyone should at least give them a shot during their shaving journey.

6. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Nice review. I had a very similar experience using a Feather in my 34C. For me it's just not a good combo. However, the Feather in my L3 Superspeed Flair Tip is an excellent combination for me.
    Based on your experience, I just ordered some Lord blades to try.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience in a Fat Handle Tech. Leveled every pimple/irritation bump on my face and it was weeper city. However...no irritation. But, all the pimples and what not came back the next day. Doesn't work for me.

8. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

its trial and error, I just ordered a Razo Rock Jaws, 39c and 23c for christmas, will keep everyone posted if I get any ground breaking results if I love one of the 3.

SB

9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Very good! :happy096:

10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thanks for the update.
    You may want to give the original Super Iridiums a go to see what you think; smooth, sharp and long-lasting. :)

11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Great review!

12. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

have photo of the box?

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am currently shaving with my second Feather. They are fine blades, but I find them pricey (for DE blades). I am still debating whether to buy 50 or 100. I have a couple of years worth of other blades. Nice review.

14. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Blades last me quite a long while by comparison with most who post at this forum. For example, I ordered 100 Israeli Personna blades almost 5 years ago, and STILL have a single box of 5 blades left. On average, I use a blade for about 2 weeks before I replace it. I don't feel as if the blade actually needs replacing, but at the price I paid there is no real sense of extravagance in changing the blade. I thought I might try the Feathers blades this time, but some of the comments here have me thinking that they may not be as satisfactory in my daily shaver, a Merkur Progress. OTOH, the E2 Gillette SS I have isn't aggressive enough with the Personna blades to give me a decent shave... decisions, decisions.

Jayaruh likes this.
  15. Hardlyanic

Hardlyanic Active Member

Great blade but a little price heavy

Jayaruh likes this.
  16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm on board with the review and pretty much agree. I have and use Feathers occasionally and generally am satisfied with the results. I think they excel in a mild razor like a Super Speed. In my opinion, they are not worth double the cost of other brands. Of course I say all this knowing that the blade is the most "YMMV" item in the shaving realm. We all are the benefactors of the variety of blades out there.

Luziana_Geezer and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Luziana_Geezer

Perhaps I am looking at the WRONG Feathers blade, but the price differences are not all that great on the Personna Reds I usually use, and this Feather. Just comparing at Amazon.

[​IMG]

18. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

I really do love my Lord blades. I want to try some other blades, which blades are comparable to the Lords? I really thought the feathers would be MUCH better, let me finish my 5 pk and I will be able to tell you.

I read alot of posts on here and NOBODY mentions they love the LORDS?

I find that werid cause it gives me an great shave, just looking for the best results my DE razor can give me.

SB

19. Luziana_Geezer

Anybody try their inexpensive razor?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N77JVY/?tag=thshde-20

20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, they're still inexpensive, but nearly twice the cost of my beloved Voskhods.