Feather Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by stormtrooper, Jan 6, 2008.

1. stormtrooper

stormtrooper New Member

I have been shaving for the last 4yrs using Merkur super stainless blades.After joining this forum I bought a bulk purchase of items,Feathers being in the lot.Are they that much better,what are the blades characteristics compared to the Merkur's...Thanks

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Every blade works differently for different people. Most people seem to think that Merkur are rather lousy and Feather are super sharp.

Only way to know is to try them.:D

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me, Merkur blades are pretty good as far as quality goes, but the Feathers are much, much better. However, my skin is very sensitive, and I had some serious issues with them, so I simply cannot use them

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I use Derbys and Feathers. Bought 100 Sharps and they didn't work for me. Gave half of what was left to my son, the other half to JoAnna. Derbys, for me, are probably more gentle, but only last 3-4 shaves. Feathers last a whole week, but the first day can be an adventure.

With the sampler pack, try the same brand for a week or so, then switch. You'll figure it out. If you've been using Merkurs for 4 years though...maybe you don't need to bother.

Oh, and welcome to The Shave Den, Stormtrooper!! If you don't mind sharing, what's your first name? We're pretty informal around here.

5. MaxP

MaxP Member

Stromtrooper-

Welcome to TSD. Feathers work well for me, but you will find YMMV.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

I like the Feathers the best out of those I've tried so far...I also like Derbys and IP's...I just bought 100 Crystals (haven't received them yet though...) but have read they are made by the same Israeli company that make the Blue and White packaged IP's..Recently bought some Red and White IP's but haven't tried them yet either :o

I mostly use straights though, so I am pretty inexperienced with DE blades..:o :)

I too think it's a YMMV thing though ;)

Welcome to The Shave Den!!

7. stormtrooper

stormtrooper New Member

Thanks guys, My first name is Al.I ll be sure to try a few different ones ,what is YMMV ?

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

YMMV - Your milage may vary = Your experiences may vary from mine.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Greetings stormtrooper. I have some feathers but have not tried them as yet.

10. patrisVII

patrisVII New Member

Feathers are the sharpest DE blades in my experience. The means that in any given razor they will require less pressure and more shallow angle than other blades. They also last longer than most others - I am usually able to get 6 or 7 shaves out of one.

The big drawback is it sometimes their edges can be ragged making the first few shaves uncomfortable. This does not affect every blade but you'll know it when you encounter it. Running the blade edge gently through a wine cork or stropping the razor with the blade against a towel helps.

11. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I hear that feathers are the sharpest of the sharp. Go easy :p

12. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Feathers are very sharp. They work well for me. If you have used the Merkur for 4 years you may want to step up to the Derby, Dorco, or Israeli Personna ( Chrystals) before stepping up to the Feather. A sample pack may be the way to
    go.

13. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Welcome to TSD!

If you've managed 4 years of good shaves with Merkurs then your face can't be that sensitive. Merkurs are infamous for being rough. From one blade to the next, they don't hold the same level of smoothness that you can get with some other brands. Of course, you may feel differently.

I just bought 200 Feather blades, 120 Crystal (Super+) blades, and traded for 50 Dorco blades. Those are my three brands. I consider the Feather to be a great blade, if used correctly. They're very sharp and unforgiving. I suggest you take your time and see how your skin reacts.