Feather Model AS-D2 Razor - those of you who have one, are they worthy razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by johnnyflake, Jul 11, 2019.

1. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I have read many reviews about the above razor, but reviews from people you don't know, are simply reviews!

For the last month or so, I have been shaving daily with my new Timeless Razor, that has a .95mm Gap. I get great shaves with it and have no complaints. However, I would like to use a quality, smoother, milder razor, for a few days, every now and again, to give my skin a break, from the aggressiveness of the .95mm gap.

For those of you who actually own and use a Feather AS-D2, which I under stand, is much smoother, with only a .29mm gap, are they also truely efficient? Do they, with proper technique, give a good quality shave?

brit, cliffb599 and RyX like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I owned and used an AS-D2 for about 4 years. Without question, one of the sturdiest, well-designed razors I have ever owned. The complaint about them being too mild is poppycock. NEVER did I get a bad shave. Yes, the gap is narrow. That means finding it may be the biggest challenge at first. Narrower gaps are also more difficult to maintain. Once found and mastered, this razor is a tank and will outlive us all on TSD. I sold mine when I transitioned to straights, but not because I didn't love it. Well-worth a try.

MacDaDad, Keithmax, brit and 6 others like this.
  3. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I have chatted with a few as d2 owners They confirmed the feather Popular, the as d2’s little plastic brother, has VERY similar performance. , even similar design. The A2 D2 is $$$ , if it was not $200 razor I would already own one. I prefer to spend those dollars on straights... (for now). This WILL be my razor the day my hands can no longer hold a straight steady.

This feather popular is truly a the plastic fantastic. If it’s anything close to the feather I would say yes to efficiency and closeness! I was a quite impressed with the feather popular and it’s inexpensive enough to try. Shave quality is as good if not better than most of DE razors. And the hands down winner in smotheness. It was FREAKISHLY mild, virtually impossible to to create irritation, even with purposely poor form, it shaves almost close as my most aggressive razors. It is at its peak performance with feather blades, they seemed to be engineered for each other, a magic combination. The closeness Quality of shave degraded quickly as I tried less sharp blades. That’s something to keep in mind, possibly using only feather blades in it. They are easily under $20 much less if you can wait about 2 weeks for delivery from Japan.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Primotenore and Hembree like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Geometry is different from a Tech (of some kind)? I've always presumed they were a clone of something I could get in brass for $15.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Primotenore likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Article Team
    Amazon has them for $162.00

6. Primotenore

Article Team
    Don't know about that. I have had a tech too and I found them to be pretty different.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

From what I've read, the ASD2 would be equal to the milder of the pre-war Techs (with .20 blade gap). Not sure of the date. Of course a difference in the weight of the razor would make a difference even with identical geometry.

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    Now that particular Tech is unfamiliar to me, so I will defer to your knowledge. Whatever the design origins of the AS-D2, I loved it. And, IMO, for $162 you are getting a razor that will outlast us all.
    Edit: $142.00 w/free shipping on Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Feather-Al...=14300663098404ae273adfdd4ea481b987b04f77c112

MacDaDad and johnnyflake like this.
  9. johnnyflake

I appreciate your response, but I am not asking about the Feather Popular. I am asking about the $150+ D2 Razor.

Primotenore likes this.
  10. johnnyflake

I do appreciate all the responses so far. It seems that my suspicions, are not warranted and that the AS-D2 is truly a worthy razor!

MacDaDad and DesertTime like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    $142. See post #8

DesertTime, johnnyflake and brit like this.
  12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The AS-D2 is a razor I've wanted for years and I recently purchased one. It's a beautifully designed razor made of quality materials and craftsmanship. Though I've only shaved with it twice, I'm very impressed with the quality of the shave. It is a mild, smooth shave, but it gets the job done and you can easily get to BBS if that's your goal.

I'm in the process of culling my razor collection down to just a few razors (I don't do rotations, so many razors never get used) and I can see a place for the feather on my short list, though I do need more shaves before I make that choice.

Leclec13 and johnnyflake like this.
  13. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I've used my AS-D2 almost exclusively for over a month and it's simply a terrific shaver.
    I've read all kinds of baffling complaints about this razor:
    . too mild
    .not for heavy beards
    . not for more than one days growth
    . etc etc
    I have a medium to heavy beard and I've mowed down 5 days growth with this razor with zero problems. I consistently get shaves as close as with any other razor I own, including the Rocca and GC .84 or any of my adjustables. The difference is the shaves are extremely smooth.
    I have to agree with @Primotenore with regards to complaints about the razor being too mild, "Poppycock.":love055: (The etymology of that word is very interesting, BTW).

If you're into "blade feel," then this isn't the razor for you. But if you prefer an extremely smooth razor that gets you to your shaving goal, from DFS to BBS , then it's worth trying.

Edison Carter and Primotenore like this.