Feather popular vs. A2-D2

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leclec13, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

this just joined the stable!

It is very mild and still provides a DFS. Mild and close are usually not in same sentence but this is the exception. The test shave was with feather blade. This razor is probably the mildest feeling razor I ever used, yet providing a DFS, AND zero iriation with alum. This razor was the biggest surprise from a pass around. With under 2 week shipping time from japan! About $11USD

I’ve never laid eyes or hands on the A2-D2
    Curious how the Feather compares shave wise to the its big and more expensive brother the A2-D2. Excluding material and construction.

How do the shaves compare?

9C15DB6E-EC00-4C9E-81E7-17C19CB9044A.jpeg

2. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Huh, very curious to hear if anyone has tried both. As an AS-D2 fanatic -- if this is also good and gives a reasonably comparable share maybe I'll get one for a travel razor since it's such a good price.

Leclec13 and Hembree like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I'm interested in how the Popular shaves myself. I may buy one just to use on vacations, or holiday for you non Americans ;).

brit, Leclec13 and Hembree like this.
  4. Leclec13

I test drove one in as part of a traveling box. Was so impressed by it I bought one. It is my plastic fantastic. It was the sleeper in the box.

I try never to have a quick hasty shave but decided to shave last minute after a shower, didn’t complete my reqular pre shave ritual and still got stellar performance with this razor. I started with a low angle, and light pressure as with any unknown razor. Not to mention th e razor is super light weight in hand. It was so mild I kept pushing the angle and pressure still no scraping issues. Mind you this is with a fresh feather blade. Continued with shave with somewhat reckless abandon and speed, which I haven’t done since using a disposable cartridge shave in basic training. The razor tolerated sloppy technique. Ended up doing a hasty 2 pass shave without relathering. Quick passes with alum zero feedback, after shave, and I was soon out the door. At the first stop sign I realized how close and comfortable the save was. This razor and shave falls into the DFS category. Hasty shave, zero alum response, and close! I was able to get one more very light growth shave (I have slow growing facial hair) before it went back in box. The second shave was with full Uber pre shave ritual, and a deliberate and meticulous shave, 3 pass shave, with detail touch ups, then my full post shave ritual, and was rewarded with an even finer shave. Which is very surprising with such extraordinary mild razor. Hours later no delayed itchiness or irritation. I decided to put this back in traveling box and bought myself a new one to keep, and arrived it surprisingly fast from japan in less than 2 weeks.

Lately I’ve been working on figuring out some new honing technique on vintage straight, with the frequent shaves with it I haven’t got a chance to test my new feather on coarser 3-4 day growth. We must play with our new toys, so here is my 3rd shave on 1.5 days stubble. Hot shower plus full pre shave ritual, tabac stick lather, fresh out of the box brand new Feather Popular with one of my feather blades, not one from the 2 razor tuck that comes with razor, followed by full post shave ritual with clubman special reserve. I went straight to more an aggressive angle, with very moderate pressure. You don’t get much edge feedback, and have to remind myself to ease off the pressure. I did a three pass with touch up. I spent more time and pressure on third pass and touch up chasing a closer shave which turned out to be a mistake. I did get a closer shave but at the cost of some alum feedback and 2 tiny weepers, and latent mild irritated feel. It did excel on my trouble spots corner of mouth and below bottom lip. I have found the limits on this razor, moderate to aggressive angle, very moderate pressure, DFS. Much milder than Merkur 38m, 34c, Gillette super speed and tech. Yes I would go as far as saying near in closeness to Red Tip. And definitely on par in closeness with old style with out needing all the caution and concentration.

This razor cost me $11 US to my door, and i’d Be happy to buy another one. It is definitely worthy of a travel razor, but it’s now in my higher class of razors. @$11 US on the bay, it will make a worthy addition to your collection.

brit likes this.
  5. Leclec13

I hope you get one, I’d love to hear the comparison with it’s big brother the A2-d2