Feather Portable DE Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by madmedic, Mar 8, 2007.

1. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I am not sure if this razor is still being manufactured...however it is still available from a few sources. I bought mine from a member of SMF at an extremely good price. This is a three piece razor which collapses into a very neat plastic case with room for two feather blades (supplied) The razor resembles a Gillette Tech. ....... in that the head design is similar. This razor is however heavier and has a greater exposure. The shaves achieved are as good as you can get. This razor is designed as a travel razor....but is good enough for everyday use. Highly recommended!

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Great Shaver

I like this razor a great deal, and probably don't use it as much I should. I purchased mine off ebay from a barber supply, and overpaid by a couple dollars.

This razor is constructed and looks much like a slim-handled Gillette Tech razor (so its built like a tank and will last forever), but with more heft.....and a much more generous blade exposure.

Don't let the name "portable" fool you, this is indeed perfectly suitable for @home use.

[​IMG]

3. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Great Razor

This was my first DE Razor. I purchased this Razor in a "Starter Kit". I started off with Derby blades and then ran the gamut, 7 am (all colors), Swedes, Dorco, Feather etc. etc. Now I pretty much stick to the Derby and Feathers with this razor and get great results!

This was a great razor to learn with, at least great for me! I achieved a true BBS shave on my second attempt (with the Derby blade, second use). It has good weight, balance and blade exposure. Ease of use is a definite 10. If I could master it as a rookie anyone can.

I've since shaved with a couple of different, Techs, Fat Boys, Aristocrats and Super Speeds as well as a LUX. I like to rotate through them at various stages during the week (depending on the level of aggressiveness I need) and I still find myself coming back to this razor from time to time!

If you don't own one, you should try and get one if for no other reason to enjoy the shave once and then add it to the collection!

4. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I picked up a Feather Portable, for very little money here on the B/S/T. It was around $8.00 shipped; brand new. Complete with two feather blades included!

It looks very much like my Gillette Tech, and from what I can tell shaves nearly identical. The handle is slightly shorter than my Gillette Ball End Tech, but that doesn't make any difference in performance.

This is a low cost, but high quality product.

Maybe it's because I am new to DE shaving, but I couldn't really tell any difference in terms of Aggressiveness between this, and my Gillette Tech. They seem to shave nearly identical.

The weight between this, and my Tech seems very similar as well.

This is a great bargain for anyone who loves Tech style razors, and for any newbie who wants to give DE shaving try, but doesn't want to break the bank "testing the waters".

5. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

Much better than a normal Tech.

The Feather Portable is design as Tech but haves the drive of a HD.
    Paired with Feather blade your sure to end up whit a BBS.
    The blade exposure is perfect, the weight perfect, and the little case it comes whit is very useful.
    It could be the cheapest razor you can find, i bought mine for 7$, so if you have the chance to get a hand on one don't hesitate.

6. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

The Little Razor That Could, Can and Does!

First off, I would like to preface this review by stating that I have not tried a bunch of different razors and blades; I'm not a collector. I've been shaving with DE razors for right around a year at the time of this writing and the Feather Portable is only my second DE razor. My first was a Weishi, which I enjoyed learning the techniques of DE shaving on, but I came to realize that I wanted a razor that was a bit more aggressive.

After reading a number of posts here about what a great little razor the Portable was at such an incredible price, I figured I'd give it a try. I found out that TSD member pauldog was selling a bunch of NOS Portables, so I got in touch with him. The total cost to me was $8.50, shipped to my door. This isn't the first time I've said this and it certainly won't be the last: that was probably the best $8.50 I've spent on just about anything. Ever! It's exactly what I was looking for. The Portable also made me a devoted user of Feather blades, as it came with two and they slice through stubble with nary a thought.

I'll try to address the rating topics as best as I can.

Weight
    No complaints here. Being a short-handled razor, the Portable might leave some wanting a bit more heft, but this isn't an issue for me.

Balance
    Again, no complaints. Although, I can see how some people with larger hands or fingers might need more real estate to hold on to in order to get the balance just right.

Blade Exposure
    Suits me perfectly. While it's not super aggressive, I can seriously get away with a single pass against the grain of my stubble growth and be done (if I shave every day).

Ease of Use
    It's a three piece design, so there are more parts to keep track of but it's not at all difficult to use. This also means that there are fewer moving parts that could potentially fail when compared to a twist-to-open type razor, for example.

Grip
    The Portable is quite easy to grip. The is some nice knurling on the handle and it has never slipped out of my hand.

Price
    Eight dollars and fifty cents! Need I say more?

As always, your experience may differ from mine; all faces are different. The Feather Portable and Feather blades are what work for me, so I'm sticking with em!