Feather SS?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by wquiles, Jan 21, 2013.

1. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Yes, that is how I use my SS - you keep increasing the angle until the actual blade insert starts cutting stubble. But with these "Light" blades the angle was significantly more than with the "Guard" blades, which I did not like that much.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You probably would do best with the professional blades, which is what most people use.

nathan likes this.
  3. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I got one of those as well in the PIF that I got, so I will try that in the next day or two, and I will report back how the Pro blade worked.

4. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Two shaves now with the Pro blade. MUCH better than with the Light blade. First shave was really good on Thu (yesterday) and got a DFS with no cuts/nicks. Today's shave was good, but not quite a DFS, plus I did get a good cut for not being careful :(

So now it has been a week now since I started with the SS, and I have not yet touched any of my DE's (37C, Futur, 1965 Slim [b-day razor], Mergress XL), and I see no need to use them again at this point. Yes, it still takes me longer to shave with the SS than with the DE's, but it has only been a week, and I am still "fighting" how to hold/maneuver the razor. The selling point of the Feather "system" of not having to hone/strop, just put a blade and use it, definitely has me totally converted, as (to me) I get the advantages and flexibility of using a str8 razor, with the convenience of a DE (I have to watch it - I am starting to sound like a commercial!).

Another thing I noticed over the last couple of days, but noticed even more today is with a str8 razor such as the SS I can slightly adjust the downward angle as I make a pass to mimic the "slant" angle in the 37C. I have not been consciously trying to do that on purpose, but I noticed that I am naturally doing the passes that way. It just felt "right". I did keep the 37C because of this unique feature, but now that I realize that I can do the same with a str8 razor, there is really no need for the 37C - I will most likely be selling that one shortly among with some/most of my DE's (I do want to keep the Slim and the Mergress XL for my son as I feel they are great razors to start his wet shaving experience when he is old enough). One thing is for sure - the DE's are getting lonely [​IMG]

Since I am still not totally liking how to hold the folding SS, yesterday I ordered the non-folding (Japanese) style SS to give it a try. I suspect that this might be a better fit for me.

Will

5. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Today I tried a CJB razor that I have on loan from another forum member. I have been wanting to try this particular one since its head is more alike (clone?) to the DX head, which is the older style without the "guard" that my folding SS has. I also ordered a non-folding SS to try, since so far I have not liked holding the folding SS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides not having quite the fit/finish of the Feather, the CJB is (in my opinion) more than good enough for the price these go for ($30-40, based on prices I have seen here in the forums). I compared the Pro blade on both, and it appears to me that on the CJB the blade is "slightly" further out (more exposed) in the CJB razor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some thoughts on my shave today with the CJB (which I used with the same Feather Pro blade I had been using in the SS for the past 3x shaves):
    - I absolutely LOVED the grip on the CJB. I am totally sold on the Japanese handle vs. the folding handle. This handle felt "correct" and it was more natural to not only hold the razor, but comfortable as well. I never struggled like I did with the folding SS. Now I am "really" looking forward to the non-folding SS to arrive (probably Tue/Wed) so that I can compare it with the handle in the CJB.
    - Unlike the SS, the CJB basically has no guard/edge to protect you, plus with the Pro blade being slightly farther out than on the SS head, so I found the CJB & Pro blade combination more aggressive and less forgiving than the SS with the same Pro blade.
    - I got a very good shave today, near DFS, zero razor burn, with 2 passes plus touch-ups, but I did get one cut - the larger blade exposure and lack of a "guard" on the CJB is something I have to get a little bit more used to.
    - Shaves still taking me about 20 minutes total, and the Pro blade still feels as sharp as new after 4x uses.
    - On the SS you can pick a very low angle to touch the face, start moving down, and then increase the angle until it starts cutting. With the CJB this transition is almost instant, so one has to be a little bit more careful when starting a pass with the CJB.
    - Out of the two, I feel the SS is better suited to start/learn with, but the CJB allowed me to choose a slightly wider attack angle range due to the lack of "guard", so I feel with more practice it would be easier and more versatile platform to shave with.
    - I think it was Kent who said that head on the DX razor (and thus the CJB) was closer to a real/traditional str8 razor, and after experiencing the less forgiving CJB with the larger blade exposure, I think I understand that comment a little bit better now.

Will

178-bplatoon likes this.
  6. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Another good shave this morning with the CJB. Definitely more aggressive, but I really like the CJB. Since I will be returning it soon, I tried again a Pro Guard blade in the CJB. I am basically trying to give the CJB a good work out until my non-folding SS arrives [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Results from today's shave Today's shave with the CJB and Pro Guard:
    - was a good DFS, no razor burn, although I did get two small/tiny cuts.
    - Doing a two-pass plus touch-ups are now the norm with the Feather "system", and I am totally acclimated to the Japanese style handle - feels very natural.
    - Shave today was between 15-20 minutes, with no hurry.
    - Now that I have tried again the Pro Guard, I feel that the Pro blade is a little bit more "raw", and more unforgiving.
    - With the Pro Guard on the CJB it was slightly easier to go ATG in my mustache - like the blade is not catching as much. I feel the lack of a "guard" also makes this easier.
    - I like the larger blade exposure and the lack of a "guard" on the CJB, I have a lot more flexibility in the shaving angle and I can pick a lower angle than with the SS head. I still very much want to try the new non-folding SS, but based on the CJB, I am thinking that the DX might be "the" one to have for me.

Will

7. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

The non-folding SS arrived today. Here it is next to my CJB. I will of course try the SS tomorrow - looking forward to trying out the ergonomics of the curved & round handle. The SS felt a tad heavier, which I verified in my postage stamp scale (1.6 oz on the SS vs 1.4 oz on the CJB):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the SS with the Kai Mild Guard, clearly not quite as "exposed" as in the CJB:
    [​IMG]

Will

jeraldgordon, 178-bplatoon and JRod22 like this.
  8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    Are you refering to the rounded portion just above the blade?

9. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Yes. In the new head design of the SS (here on the right) you can't quite get as low angle to the skin, since at some point due to the "guard" the blade with stop touching the skin. On the left, the DX head (same as the RG) does not have this extra portion of metal, so you can go to an even lower angle:
    [​IMG]

Will

10. oscar11

For some reason, I'd like one of these. I'm just about a 100% straight razor user, mostly vintage stuff and I can't get these out of my mind. Kind of a no muss no fuss type of deal but at the same time I enjoy maintaining my razors.

11. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I only have 5-6 months experience with DE's and now 2 and 1/2 weeks with the Feather "system", which is the only str8 razor I have ever use. I am a true convert to using a str8 razor, and specifically I absolutely love the Feather system much better than the DE's for the many reasons I have outlined throughout this thread. In fact I am selling all of my DE's and sticking with the Feathers.

So far I would recommend the SS to start with, as that lip/guard makes it harder to get cut badly while learning, but I am becoming fond of the DX/RG/CJB style head, which more closely resembles a traditional str8, as it is even more versatile. As to folding vs. non-folding, for me there was no contest, as only the non-folding felt "right", but of course that is very subjective.

12. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I had a Feather AC a few years ago.. slashed my face in two spots and sold it..

I am interested in the the CJB.. I can find only one reference to it, on a Korean website. Can anyone tell me where to buy one?

13. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

The CJB is a direct clone of the head design found in the Feather DX/RG, so if you previously tried a DX/RG and did not like it, the CJB probably will not work for your either as they have the same head design (unlike the SS that has the new lip/guard). Of course the CJB does have a different handle, so it feels a little bit different. I actually like the CJB, and I feel the head allows me to shave slightly better than the head in the SS, but I do like/prefer the non-folding version of the SS, as (to me) it has a better handle/balance/weight than the CJB.

As to where to buy a CJB? They are not officially exported out of Korea into the USA, so they are only available through Ebay and razor forum classifieds - basically from folks living in Korea who re-sell them either one at a time, or in small numbers.

14. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Thanks.. There is a link I found that leads to Amazon... There is a picture, but no actual listing. I'll keep an eye on the auction site. I gave up on the AC back then but I want to give it another try. I think the non-folding style would be great this time around, and I like the price.

I thought that since I am going to get a Cobra Classic, having both razors that use the same blades would make sense.

15. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

In the B&B forum, there is a forum member (casus4844) that lives in Korea and he seems to be able to buy and sell (at least 1-2 razors) into the USA. You might want to check with him.

16. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

The Feather DX arrived yesterday. From top going down: CJB (1.4 oz), SS (1.6 oz), DX (1.9 oz):
    [​IMG]

But besides the obvious differences in the handle and grip ergonomics, it is the head design that I have found to be the more significant factor that makes them shave "differently" (from left to right: DX, SS, CJB):
    [​IMG]

Note how the CJB (right) more closely resembles the DX head (middle). Here in this picture you can really appreciate the lip/guard on the SS (left):
    [​IMG]

The shave today with the DX and the Kai Mild Guard was excellent. I got a good DFS, no nicks, no razor burn. Easily one of the best shaves ever with the Feather "system". Although the ergonomics were not ideal for me (being the DX is the folding model), I loved the slightly heavier weight on the DX head, but I most definitely prefer having the thinner head profile of the DX than the lip/guard on the SS - the DX felt that much better.

Will

jeraldgordon and 178-bplatoon like this.
  17. oscar11

Congrats, it sounds like things are going good for you.

18. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Yes, thanks. I "almost" did not try the Feather system, since in many reviews folks complained that it was a rather unforgiving razor, but I am glad I took the chance to try it. The key for me was:
    - to watch many videos of folks shaving with the Feather and also with traditional str8 razors
    - apply a very, very light touch - the Feather and KAI blades are very sharp, even the "Guard" versions
    - realize that I only need 2 passes and some touch-ups to achieve the same DFS results I got with 3x passes on the DE
    - stretch the skin (I am still practicing this some more)
    - practice, practice, practice

The rest is just like with the DE's I used before - good preparation, good lather, etc.. The Feather certainly lacks the allure and involvement of a true str8 razor, but even as a non-traditional str8 razor the Feather is just very efficient at just shaving - no more, no less. I do hope to have the time to learn to hone/strop and try a traditional str8 razor in the future.

19. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

It turns out I have the DX (in SUS316 stainless steel) not the SS as I assumed.
    I thought "SS" indicated the Stainless Steel version, I was wrong (again).
    I only use it weekends so far, it's a lot of fun. I'm envious that you can yours it everyday.

[​IMG]

20. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

That DX razor of yours is beautiful!

What blade(s) are you using in your DX? Have you tried the KAI Mild Guard or the Feather Guard on your DX?