Feather SS?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by wquiles, Jan 21, 2013.

1. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

The RG has the same nicer handle that the DX has. But the SS handle is different than the CJB and the RG/DX.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After using all of the ones above, I consider the handle in the RG/DX the best one, and the RG the best value (since the DX is significantly more expensive).

2. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

And which one do you feel shaves the best??

3. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

For "me", the head in the CJB/RG/DX shaves the best and resembles better how it feels to shave with a traditional str8 razor, since you get a wider range of shaving angles. The SS has a lip/guard, which gives you a smaller range in attack angles, which is actually good for a beginner razor, but not when you get more experienced.

Out of all of the ones I have tried/used, I like the Japanese style RG the best, but note I have not tried the Japanese style DX.

4. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I thank you for your input and patience.

I've spent the last month shaving with the CJB and have come to like it a whole lot.

Having pondered the options, I just purchased a Dx non-folding and a boat load of blades. I am going to continue with the CJB and a proguard for one more round with that blade. By then, the Dx will be here and I will switch to the Proguard in the Dx for one round. Only then will I change to another blade. I have ProGuards, Pros, Lights and a few Kai Milds. I suspect I will go in the following order... Kai Milds, Pros and maybe the Lights. We'll see.

5. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I tried all of those blades myself. It will be interesting to hear back which ones you prefer ;)

6. So, where do I find one of these? They seem to be kind of elusive on the web...:scared011:

7. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

On B&B there is a guy (forum name "joshmv") selling them for $40.