Feathers are a no-go but what about KAI?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, May 12, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I did not get along with Feathers. However are KAI any smoother or do they have a tendency to bite as well? This is very important since I am a head shaver, just in case you didn't know. If they work out I am willing to pay for them since smallflower has them @ 100 for $37.50.

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Try a sample pack first.

3. BigMark

I am well aware of that Mark. I have been doing this for roughly 1.5 years. ;), I just want to know if KAIs are prone to bite like Feathers. I am probably going to try them out anyway.

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

They can bite!

5. BigMark

Nix the kais then.

6. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

The Kai's shave different to me. I can't use Feathers account the biting. They are sharp like Feathers and feel thicker. I can use them in some razors, like TTO's with no problems. I have about 50 of them. I used to head shave myself and they were a daily driver for me. PM if you'd like to try a pack of them. Wouldn't be a problem.

clint64 likes this.
  7. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Good call. They feel the same to me. Just a bit too sharp for comfort. Like feathers they are so sharp I don't get proper feedback so I can tell when they are shaving well. Then the next thing you know they cut or burned before I can correct a slip in form. Most other razors at least let you know you are doing it wrong before they hurt you.

8. shmuel

shmuel Member

Blades to me are the most YMMV thing in wet shaving. Why not try a sample of the Kai and see for yourself? My opinion or that of any one else really is not very helpful.

9. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    I've been trying different blades in my Merkur 38C.

The smoothest blade so far is the Astra and the good news is $10 a 100!

Can't use a Feather, not even close! Just sayin!

10. BigMark

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Hate Feathers, love Kais. For me it's almost night and day. The Feathers are too sharp, too bitey, just too much of everything. Kai gives me a really sharp but smooth shave. Without any blood when I've used them. My two cents.

12. bigjustin

bigjustin Member

Give polsilver super a chance. Crazy sharp buy super smooth.[​IMG]

13. BigMark

I didn't get along with these , and I am not fond of purchasing Russian blades.

14. bigjustin

bigjustin Member

I tried kai and wasnt pleased. I will have to try one again. Maybe had a dud.

15. BigMark

Maybe they are afraid of that beard. ;)

16. bigjustin

bigjustin Member

Lol that beard is long gone. Just have a goat T that is about to be put to rest after 3 years.

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh, don't get me started on Feathers - they can kill someone!

BigMark and Redrock like this.
  18. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Haven't tried the Kais. While the Feathers are not my favorites (due to the insane sharpness) I have been revisiting them the last few shaves. I have not had a nick or cut in many, many months and got a nick and/or cut each time I used the Feather.:scared011: I am using my trusty Gillette Fatboy as usual on setting 3. However, the Feathers do deliver a close, smooth shave. I am going to give them some more chances; can always pack away to another day. Perhaps trade.

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's why I haven't tried them yet. :sad024:

20. paulkoop

paulkoop New Member

I lovefeathers i have a thick beard with a mild double edge soo feathers work well for me Will they work as well in a open tooth im getting soon probably not lol