Feathers: coated or uncoated?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DesertTime, Jun 4, 2018.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Both my sons use Feathers and when I visit, that's what they give me pop into my razor. I like the blade quite a bit. I've used Red IPs and Derby Extras for over 10 years and I'm about to reorder blades.

Do you Feather users prefer the coated or uncoated (Platinum)? Does it even make a difference?

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I've only used the Feather Platinums, and I like them. I recently branched out to try some Russian DE blades, and I think I like them a little better. I can get Astras or Voskhods for around half the price of Feathers.

DesertTime likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

As far as I know there is only one type of Feather stainless blade and that is the Hi-Stainless which is platinum coated. I don't think there is an uncoated version, unless we are talking about the carbon steel blade(industrial use, not for shaving).

PickledNorthern, TobyC and DesertTime like this.
  4. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge Feather only makes one style of blade but they package (and advertise) them differently depending on where they are sold and what quantity they are sold in. They're all platinum coated, red pack or yellow pack.

I also like Gillette Silver Blues, which with Feathers are about the sharpest blade out there.

Amazon has Feathers for $23 for a hundred (free shipping with Prime) but you can buy 100 for $16 on eBay.

PickledNorthern, RyX and DesertTime like this.
  5. DesertTime

I have a yellow pack and they're labeled as Platinum Coated. A black pack doesn't indicate coating, but the two blades look identical, so I was confused.
    Thanks for clearing it up for me.

PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

BINGO! :happy096:

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

feathers are coated

DesertTime likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Same blade, different markets. The black labels are usually sold in 5 packs and the yellow labels are usually sold in 10 packs, though I've seen vice versa as well.

DesertTime and Linuxguile like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It’s only funny when guys come on and say how much they enjoy one, but not the other.

DesertTime, Linuxguile and kfbrady like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I like the yellow packs better...:D

PickledNorthern and wristwatchb like this.
  11. DesertTime

It's just your sunny disposition. I'm more into the goth look this year, so black for me (also, I just received 50 black packaged Feathers with my Parthenon razor).

PickledNorthern likes this.