Feathers?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cheffie46, Jan 2, 2009.

1. cheffie46

cheffie46 New Member

I have read a lot about Feather blades and their reputation as being the ultimate in aggressiveness. Frankly, this terrifies and intrigues me. How do I know I am ready for this transition? Are there any tips for use? Of course I am looking for the closest shave ever, but feel leery about donating a quart of blood every morning!

http://s7.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=21043

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Have not used them... but I have used a straight... from that experience I can say that it all comes down to technique. If yours is good you should have no worries. Take it nice and easy.. use good lather....and technique .

just my $.02 worth.

Fuzzy

3. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

To be quite honest, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I get more weepers and nicks using a Merkur blade than using a Feather. As long as you take your time, use no pressure, proper technique, and respect the blade, it won't be bad.

4. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Beat me to the punch. the Fuzz-Meister gives good advice.

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I felt the same trepidation before my first Feather shave. The reputation on some boards is of a vampire blade waiting to pounce on the jugular. They are sharp, sharper than some, but no where near scary. My first Feather shave was a let down of sorts, no blood loss and my nose was still attached. ;)

If your technique is decent you have no reason to fear the Feather.

6. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Chris hit it on the nose. Make sure your technique is down and then give them a go. They really aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

Great blades

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:D

Fuzzy

8. cheffie46

cheffie46 New Member

Yes, all great advice. However, my morning shave time is far from peaceful! I have three pre-schoolers fighting and in tears at any given time, the dog chasing the cat and my wife shouting the daily instructions. It's all I can do to not cut my head off. What Feather blade type is the most forgiving?

http://s7.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=21043

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There is a quote here that explains that alarm clocks are adjustable... I highly recommend losing some sleep now and then to have shave time.

Fuzzy

10. cheffie46

cheffie46 New Member

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I get up early every morning to have time to shave nice and slow before a work day. Have to have priorities straight :D

Fuzzy

12. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

There really isn't a difference in feathers. Basically they have some NOS non-coated ones and some of the new ones which are coated. Some say there is no real difference between them.

Before I had my technique down I tried feathers. They don't really slice you up they just kind of leave you raw, if you have bad technique.

13. Hi there,

Actually, there is no feather that's unforgiving, and really, there's only one that's used for DE shaving. Hehe, makes em easy to order.

The part about a blade being forgiving or not is interesting though. I'm not a blade expert, but have tried many different ones, and I found some blades DO have more tolerance for minor technique screw ups. What that translates to me is the tiny bit of time to fix things or stop in mid stroke......that small amount of warning time before something bad happens....... feeling the very tiniest of a sting, or when something sounds wrong........being able to avoid potential damage.......that sorta thing. Feathers have the shortest amount of 'buffer time' than any other blade I've tried.
    I enjoy using a feather, and rotate em with two other blades, but as mentioned, I have the least amount of time to adjust things before it gets ugly. I pay special attention to each stroke, and that's through all 4 passes. Actually takes me a few minutes longer for my shave.

So, maybe these aren't the ones to use with the kids hanging onto your shaving arm............heh.

Hope that helps,
    Martin

14. On weekdays I shave in the evening before bed. I know not everyone can get away with that, but when I wake up my shave is still close.

That way, I can take my time and I don't feel rushed.

Oh yea... and to address the feathers, the first time I used one in my Futur, they were a bit aggressive - Derbys work best for me in that razor. But in my (more forgiving) Tech, I just got a really great shave with no irritation. I had sworn myself off of Feathers after my experience with them in the Futur, but someone prodded me into trying one in a Tech and I was really, very pleasantly surprised.

15. cheffie46

cheffie46 New Member

Yeah, good point. Maybe I will save them for a time when the house is quiet..... Yeah, right. :happy102

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I don't have kids and that's the way I do it also, well I have a glass of Bourbon on the counter in my shave den. :D