Fedoras, Pork Pies, Trilbys, What is Your Favorite Hat?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

There seems to be something of a controversy concerning Fedoras, Trilbys, and other dress hats.
    Some just like them and some seem enraged when they see someone wearing them.
    I don't see, why Fedoras or any other stylish article of clothing could be so polarizing. In my hanging around the Den, I spoke with or just noticed in pictures, some of our 'Denizens' sporting very nice and hip looking Fedoras, Trilbys, Panama Hats, and other dress hats....Pork Pies, Bowlers, Derby, Western, Homberg...etc.etc.

I for one wear dress hats on a regular basis...I find a hat can help define part of our style....

So I thought I'd "Fire Up" a thread here and ask my fellow Denizens to Show us your favorite hats...

Pics of hats just sitting or worn would be appreciated...Worn pics do though give us more of how it works into your style. But worn pics are usually best when "candid". That way, its like catching you in the Wild....LOL...

My two favorites....

A Lock & Co. Sandown Trilby
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    And a Borsalino made around the time I was born. I figure whoever owned this hat must have taken better care of it, Than I took care of myself. Because this hat looks new and I don't....Ha,Ha...
    image.jpg image.jpg
    If I get a chance, I'll post a candid pic wearing one of these. You really get a better concept of a hat when it's worn. Sinatra said, "a hats not a hat til it's tilted..." Ha,ha..But, I look pretty strange in 'selfies' anyway....and Especially when wearing a hat.....lol. Best hat pics are more candid...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like the idea of hats - as long as it's not a fedora on some hipster - but personally I don't wear one unless you count this that I put on when I need to do a quick errand early in the morning before showering/washing my hair:

[​IMG]

3. Bird Lives

Very Cool....I agree and have found numerous practical functions for my hats...The one you mentioned, early morning pre-shower store trip, ha,ha....Also, since I started wearing my hat, I don't need to carry an unbrella...Protection from all the elements...Rain, Sun, cold, etc.etc...

Although, if the fedora on the hipster helps lock in the hipsters style as a hipster....Well then I think it's still "working".....:happy068: :happy097:

Carbide Mike, Stroker and Darkbulb like this.
  4. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of hats, although I have not found a dress chapeau that suits me. On the other hand, I third the ball cap pre shower. I also wear a Tilley endurable when camping, hiking, and need the sun off my poor pale skin.

5. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

I have a few fedoras and flat caps from Brixton.com but I agree hipsters have ruined them. I still wear mine knowing that I'm not a hipster but i assume people think I am when they see me. Basically hipsters ruin everything.

Http://www.brixton.com

6. Bird Lives

Atta boy Greg...Wear em anyway....If you dig em, enjoy em....
    I think if you honestly identify with a hat, and find it comfortable and feel natural in it...Then it becomes part of your persona...Then enjoy it! Most people will just notice you...Not you and a hat...But if you are a "Hipster" and you are only wearing the hat to look like someone else, then thats what you project, and thats what people see....

You only go round once...Enjoy it your way...Shoot, I am a Jazz Musician....If this was the 40's, 50's or early '60's....I would be a Hipster....:shocked003:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Giants Baseball Cap
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I only wear hats as a necessity. Ball cap occasionally when I got the bed head, and a Tilley F3 for Sol shade.

9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Followed by my 35 year old Stetson 10X Beaver, and 15 year old Resitol's summer straw and winter felt.

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I don't wear hats. I haven't found any that I like.

Carbide Mike and Stroker like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Two vintage fedoras (one gray, one dark green), 2 1/8" brims, which I wear only in cold/inclement weather. More often I wear my old version of this, minus scrambled eggs.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

1) Jacquard (black, gray and white) Kangol 507
    2) Gray winter Bermuda Kangol 507
    3) Wool Univ of Alabama Crimson baseball cap (not too often though) image.jpg

13. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I don't understand where all the consternation comes from. I really don't care what a man chooses to put in his head. Be he a hipster or an old man.
    Personally, I have quite a few hats. Everything from s felt and straw cowboy hats to trilby hats for hunting, dress and a few for the beach. I sometimes hose down my head with sunscreen but would rather put on a hat if I know I will be out in the sun for hours.
    Wearing a hat is a reminder to me to slow down and take it easy. It completes a look and provides warmth, shade and complete an outfit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Depends on the dress.

If the issue is a Western motif, I wear a cowboy hat. If it is suit or sports coat, it will be a Fedora. If it is general purpose clothing (run about), an Ivy will do just fine.

[​IMG]

If it is working out in the yard, or something similar, then a gimme hat (ball cap) will serve.

As to hipsters the meaning has changed since the real ones have aged out of the system and mass marketed replacements (advertising) have taken over.

As to the original hipsters, don't cry for them ...

15. Bama Samurai

I think hats are one of the most neglected items in men's wear.

The actual hipsters would not recognize the crop of men that have appropriated the term currently.

Carbide Mike, BamaT, jakie55 and 3 others like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is why I call them "Mass Market Replacements!"

Carbide Mike and Stroker like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

I am thinking of talking to this guy:

His site says Denver, but he's actually out on the range near me. Great reputation:

www.crossfirehats.com

Displaying ironic slogans on tees, wearing cheap fedoras, hand rolling cigarettes, and swilling craft bourbon does not make one Jack Kerouac.

18. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

Well said and +1. I have a variety of hats and wear what I like (it runs the spectrum, for sure). I'm currently looking to pick up a quality vintage hat, partially to satisfy my love of all things old. I've recently become a member on the Fedora Lounge forum and have learned a ton about old hats....never knew there was so much to know about styles. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but I'm narrowing the search.

19. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know. I will take a cheap trilby or short brimmed fedora over an expensive one most days. If something happens I won't miss it. Drop two on a hat and I am a lot more careful so it might not go places where it can be damaged or lost like an inexpensive one will.

I will trade you beer for Sigs but I am keeping the bourbon. Jack can take care of himself. He just whines most of the time anyway.

20. Bama Samurai

And that is the difference between wearing a hat and wearing a hipster affectation.

Carbide Mike and mikewood like this.