Felt strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Robert1955, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Any good ?, is it worth having one, I have the stuff at hand to knock one up and was gonna use it for diamond spray...even tho I dont really like the dia spray...I been using it on a leather bench strop but i think I want that back and just the felt for dia spray and maybe other side crox. Do you use a felt strop and are they useful...tia

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Yes

I think I have the first or second one that Hand American produced it was sent out for me to test the viability

I have .50~ on one side and .25~ on the other

The Felt works REALLY well with sprays, keep in mind that Diamond Spray is Rated by Caret Content also, not just Grit size the higher the Caret the better the spray quality

I also have the very first Dual Sided Leather Strops for Diamond Paste from Tony Miller

Let me try and explain the differences

Certain Substrates are more Efficient than others and can completely change the feel of the edge

ie:

If you put the same Diamond Grit on Balsa compared to Leather vs Felt you will get three separate experiences

Balsa is VERY efficient and cuts better than Leather, and Felt is the most gentle

So if you want to use Sprays / Pastes as a refresh Felt is the least efficient, if you want to smooth the feel after honing then Felt rocks

Make Sense ???

In order per my testing

Balsa
    Linen
    Leather
    Felt
    Sail Cloth
    Microfibers

Karl G, Keithmax, SevenEighth and 3 others like this.
  3. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Excellent reply again, that's what I was hoping for, I find the dia spray too harsh on leather and thought the felt would provide a softer substrate and allow some of the spray to dissipate better and as it soaks in to put a bit of cushion between the steel and the diamond .

gssixgun, Keithmax and SevenEighth like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I am trying to put this into perspective for what I've been doing that works for me. I do a dozen or so laps on chromium oxide pasted suede followed by 50-60 laps on 200k diamond pasted balsa. The last step is 25 linen and 50 horse hide using an Illinois strop. Are there any steps I can eliminate and why?

Karl G likes this.
  5. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I use diamond pasted balsa progression .5 micron. .25 micron .1 micron. Naked Suede ish leather then leather bench strop
    But after initial honing, for maintenance diamond pasted balsa .1 micron only followed by leather strops
    I’ve been experimenting with minimalist honing So I have greatly decreased lap count.

At first guess I think you may Be able to cut out chrome oxide
    I have maintained an edge on .1 micron or 200k diamond pasted balsa And leather strop for about 50-60 shaves

I would test / experiment your process by removing steps and test shave

Karl G likes this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Your thinking is correct

the Felt will "Tame" the Diamond Spray quite a bit compared to Leather.

Robert1955, Karl G and Leclec13 like this.