Figaro shaving cream review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by crackstar, Feb 25, 2012.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

From Caola-Alfa, the company in Hungary which produces the Barbon and Derbylux creams, I present to you guys Figaro shaving cream!

Ease of lathering: 10/10--Perfect. So little cream is required!

Longevity of lather: 10/10--Stable enough for 20 passes!

General skincare: 7/10--Not bad. Some moisturizer should be used after, however.

Scent: 9/10--A lovely barbershop-type scent. I go for that in a big way.

Price: 10/10--In Hungary, it very low-priced. This tube I have was a gift.

Would I buy again: 9/10--I believe I would. It's a very pleasant cream.

Except for this cream's slight lack of moisturizing, I would say that it's excellent. A dab on both cheeks, a wet brush, and BINGO - your face will be buried in rich, thick, creamy barbershop-smelling lather. Hungary is another country which puts out some really fine creams.

[​IMG]

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Sorry to say Jeff, but I had quite the opposite results with this cream. It's possible it could have gone bad as it was given to me by a vendor who used it some for samples. I tried it a few times & ended up putting it n the Grab Bag. So if you'd like a chance at picking up this cream for free then make sure to sign up for the next incarnation of the BAWX!

crackstar likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I grabbed this out of the BAWX (2012 Travel Box) and decided to give it a whirl. I have to agree with crackstar on this one. I really like it. I squeezed a dab into the bowl and hit it with a damp brush. I won't say that fountains of lather came gushing out of the bowl, but it produced an amazing amount of thick creamy lather. The "lovely barbershop-type scent" crackstar describes smells to me like classic Barbasol canned shave foam, except stronger. That smell sure took me back to my childhood. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of the scents, because I have not smelled Barbasol in ten years. It would be interesting to see if my sniffer still works.

Every other point crackstar made is spot on for my experience with this Hungarian product. I had to do a quick online search to make sure I hadn't fallen in love with a hard to get or discontinued product, and was relieved to see that it was available in the U.S. at reasonable prices. While this will never be a daily go to cream for me, I will always keep some on hand for the occasional trip down memory lane.

crackstar likes this.
  4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Ryan, that was most likely the one that I put in there. I'm glad you like it. I could get a decent lather with it but it wasn't a good shave for me. Enjoy in good health!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I liked the Barbon so much that I ordered Figaro. Same great lather and shave. The scent is lighter and more of a barbershop type. Again, both $9.89+shipping at Shaveabuck.com.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

totjoe, Recklesstr and crackstar like this.
  6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I agree - Figaro is a great cream! But, where do you guys get the "great barber shop scent" from? It has grown on me, and I like it well enough, but this cream smells like that slightly musty old maid great aunt who always insisted on pinching your cheeks and giving you the crushing hug that almost asphyxiated you between her massive bosoms when you were 8!

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I lied. This became a "go to cream."
    I've loved breasts ever since...and your sniffer's broken.

jeraldgordon and Bobcat like this.
  8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

:signs011: +1
    I don't know about the sniffer part, but I'm on board with the other part(s)! :happy088:

mld202 and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

At that price it is worth picking up both. My scent picker upper is usually very forgiving if the performance is there.

10. semperfish

semperfish New Member

................Like the man said: barbershop! Ahhhh to be 8 again....