Finally Jumpin' In

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by swarden43, Aug 5, 2013.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My first re-knot. I picked up the brush a year or two ago while in Maine. Looks like someone trimmed it because the top was a bit uneven and very prickly.
    P1010528 (Medium).JPG

I love the rich burgundy color, but when I steamed it to get the knot out (pulled out pretty easy, by the way) it left the brush with a mottled white color that didn't buff out.
    P1010530 (Medium).JPG
    P1010531 (Medium).JPG

Right now the handle is in the basement drying after being sprayed with Testors Blue Sapphire Metallic!

And check this out, on Friday morning I ordered a 22mm silvertip from TGN and it was in the mailbox TODAY!:mail:

You can bet I'll have some pics for ya when I get it finished.

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Looks a good potential..can't wait to see the finished product..:bounce015:Maybe Gary has a way to fix what the steaming did..:think002:

3. swarden43

Too late. Already painted.

4. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I had to do that with a brush that I steamed too long. Ended up painting it and really like it. Once you get past the fact that it's not going to be the original color, the sky's the limit. I bet it looks GREAT. I look forward to seeing it.

5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That's a shame that steam ruined if but,who knows, it may look even better painted blue. And TGN is super fast with their delivery. Can't wait to see the final results!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am looking forward to this one, too.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am sure Sapphire Blue will turn out totally awesome!

8. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Can't wait to see it!

9. swarden43

So here we go! The Testors Sapphire Blue Metallic turned out as good as I had hoped. hmmm.... maybe a satin black ring around it? I'm thinking about hitting it with a coat of Turtle Wax to protect the finish a bit. I also have to epoxy the knot (22mm silvertip from TGN) in - I'm nervous about getting too much and having it ooze out all over the place! Any tips?
    P1010534 (Medium).JPG

10. Raven312

WOW! :happy096: I'm going to have to hunt down that color. Keep a few Q-tips and some nail polish remover handy and you should be fine. What I've been taught was to put a little epoxy on the base of the knot and a small amount in the base, so that they can make contact. Depending on what brand you use, you'll have between 1-20 minutes to situate your knot to your liking. That stuff is very strong, so generally a little goes a long way.

That brush is really beautiful (and a flat black ring might just set it off even more!)

Douglas Carey and swarden43 like this.
  11. swarden43

This was my inspiration for the color and black stripe
    dodge rt.jpg
    Not mine. Maybe someday.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful job. Great color.

swarden43 likes this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It's a Dirigo Blue brush..outstanding..:git:

Luteplayers and swarden43 like this.
  14. HoosierTrooper

Oh man, that's awesome! Did the spray paint fill in the lettering? I don't use epoxy, I've found that clear RTV silicone adhesive works great and if you do get some on the handle or knot it's very easy to clean up because it doesn't dry quickly like epoxy. I've been using DAP brand lately.

srpavko and swarden43 like this.
  15. swarden43

Yeah, the paint filled the lettering most of the way, not completely. I thought about that afterwards (the things you learn doing things the first time :D). If/when I do another, I may see about filling in the letters with some putty or something.

The epoxy I have on hand already is Loctite Marine, 2 hour setting time. Anybody have any pros or cons with this stuff?

srpavko likes this.
  16. Raven312

I've used Loctite Marine. It works well. That's a long time window. Give it a final check before the 2 hr window to make sure the knot is in there exactly the way you want it. You have up to then to reposition as you see fit. Honestly, as I look at it again I like the blue better than the original red.

Jayaruh and swarden43 like this.
  17. swarden43

And away we go! A finished Dirigo Blue :happy036:
    DB Before (Medium).JPG

And after the maiden lathering on a puck of Tabac. :bounce015:
    DB Brush (Medium).JPG

I was initially concerned with using too much epoxy. After setting the knot, I was worried I might not have used enough. Seems to be holding well.

As for the paint, I honestly don't know how well it's going to hold up. It's already lost a bit of its sheen. Time will tell.

I was very pleased with the lather this thing whipped up and how it felt on my face. And since you don't lather with the handle, even if it does loose a little paint, I'm still quite happy with my first Dirigo Blue brush!

18. Hank

Hank Active Member

Looks really good great job!!

swarden43 likes this.
  19. HoosierTrooper

Wonder if a couple coats of a good car wax might help preserve the finish?

Raven312, swarden43 and srpavko like this.
  20. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Looks great!! Welcome to th "I got bit by the brush restore" club!!

Raven312, Jayaruh and HoosierTrooper like this.