Finally made a decision ...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DavidSeattleWA, Apr 5, 2008.

1. After months and months of debating whether or not to jump head-first into wet shaving or play it safe with my Gillette Sensor Excel I finally bought myself a brush. I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks now and there's a lot of great feedback on just about any brush that's out there. I decided to go with a Simpson Chubby 2/best. Kinda went all out for my first brush but I would rather buy something really nice, being pretty confident that I'll grow to enjoy it.

I went back and forth between the Duke series and the Chubby 1 and 2. After a while I decided against the Duke series all together and narrowed it down to Chubby 1 and 2. I decided that Chubby 1 seemed too small (and I have fairly small hands) and thought I'd regret it. Chubby 2 seemed to be just right - a happy medium.

I realize I'm taking a little bit of a gamble buying a Simpson knowing that they can be somewhat unpredictable but I have a good feeling about it and I won't get pre-occupied with it. I will, however, ENJOY it (I hope) !! Having never tried a brush or shaving soap I also picked up a bowl of Tabac shave soap. I tried the aftershave a while back and really liked the scent. Most people seem to love the shave soap so I thought I'd make that one my first.

Wish me luck!

Attached Files:

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Looks like some nice choices!

3. Thanks, I thought this would be a really good combo to get me started. The Tabac soap has received nothing but praise and people seem to love it. I'm sure it will be a winner!

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Even if it isn't for you, I am sure there are plenty of people who would like to try it. Trying new stuff is half the fun. Until you get bogged down in huge amounts of stuff.. :D

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I think you definitely made the right choice on both purchases :)

6. Thanks Isaac. A little pricey being that I'm a beginner but I thought it would be money better spent on something nice right from the git go. The brush was a little out of my spending comfort zone - didn't really want to spend quite that much. But I think I made the right choice.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

You know......It may be a bit at the beginning, but you pegged it right. Why buy 4 different other type of brushes that will equal the cost of this one. I think you made a wise decision. Hope it doesnt cause you to become inflicted with the Simpson Aquisition that Mike has...and that I am getting.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Fantastic choices David! :drool :drool :drool Congrats!! :D

9. Exactly. I didn't see the sense in buying a cheap crummy brush and then decide that I don't like this simply based on something I bought that wasn't very good quality anyway.

Actually, Mike did give me some guidance on the Simpson brushes and how they differ. He was a big help. I'm not even going to THINK about buying another brush (or razor for that matter) until I master the setup I have now.

10. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Ill have to remember you said that

11. I just set myself up didn't I .. haha.

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Welcome to the other side my friend. I think the Chubby 2 pretty much will hit exactly what you are looking for. I didn't initially recommend it because being your first brush, I wasn't sure if you were prepared to break that $150 barrier.

It's just money, right :D

13. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Remind me not to talk to Mike any more than I do. I am already getting into Hydrolast and if I get into Simpsons too... :rofl

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations, David! :happy088

Some lovely choices for your first brush and soap. :happy096

15. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Obi-Wan has taught you well. Enjoy!

16. Thanks Mike. I appreciate all your help. The Chubby 2 was more than I wanted to spend but I really felt like this was the brush that would fit me best. The #1 seemed too small and the 3 looked too big. This one should be just right.

Hey, I like spending money on myself. I've become pretty good at it. Why not, right?

17. It's a dangerous world this shaving thing is....

18. Thanks! Looking forward to the first shave. Should be interesting - I'll probably end up making a big mess. How hard could it be, anyway?

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Indeed, but there are more women out there... and money too ;)

20. I really love that combo :D