Finding a blade for R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by txskimo, Dec 25, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

My beloved Voskhod is not performing very well for me in my newly acquired R41. I'm on try a blade trying to figure out the best way to go about this. At first, I have 7 blades picked out with the intention of using each blade 4 shaves. That would be a nice "challenge" or sorts for January with only a couple days shy of a full month. The problem I'm having is how should I begin? Shave with the Voskhod the night before since it won't be in the challenge? Also, should I shave every day with no breaks?

I want to make this as fair of a comparison as I can, but I realize some blades might affect my opinion on the next one in line. I suppose I could always take the time out of the equation and if my face doesn't feel ready for a shave then just skip it for that day.

Why do I over complicate everything? I wish I had the answer to that lol.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Same for me. The Voskhod is my go to blade in my DE89 and NEW. But sucks in the 41. I've tried numerious blades (nine) and the best for me is Personna Red. The Gillette Platium and Crystal were tied for second in my blade test.

txskimo likes this.
  3. txskimo

This is the list I had put together so far. The numbers just reflect what try a blade said came in a pack. I figured the extra ones could be used in my DE89 or just PIFd.

5 Feathers
    5 Astra Superior Platinum
    5 Gillette 7 0'Clock yellow
    5 Personna Lab Blue
    5 Wilkinson Sword German
    5 Perma Sharp Super
    10 Derby

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Feather blades work well for me in my 2013 R41. I go for two passes plus touch-ups most every day with whatever razor I'm using. I've only used Feather blades other than one shave with a Derby blade.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Robyflexx, txskimo and RyX like this.
  5. Apollorunner

Apollorunner Member

I am anticipating your findings. I went ahead and ordered my new Muhle R41. I am still on the lookout for a 2011 if one shows up. Can I suggest the Gillette 7oclock super platinum? Only blades that give great shaves for me in any razor. I hope the R41 is no different.

youngunn and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Is the Voskhod feeling too sharp, or too rough in your R41, or both?

If too sharp, you might try Bolzano or Sputnik.
    If too rough, you might find Bic, GSB, or Persona Reds to be smoother.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. txskimo

The Voskhod just feels rough on anything more than one day's growth, but if I were to shave every day with them I'm sure it would be a little smoother. One of the problems I'm having is that in order to get a shave I'm happy with, I have to do more than four passes. I haven't gone back to my DE89, but if I remember correctly this was never a problem with these blades minus some tugging on several days' growth.

I went ahead and ordered the 7 blades listed so hopefully I can get some better results. My main question wasn't necessarily which blades I should try, but how I should go about comparing each blade to give me the fairest comparison.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Robyflexx likes this.
  8. txskimo

All the blades arrived today so I'll begin me trial and error tonight. I threw the list on random.org and came up with the following order. Feathers, Personna Lab Blue, Derby, Perma Sharp Super, Astra Superior Platinum, Wilkinson Sword German, Gillette 7 o'Clock Yellow. The plan is to go four shaves per blade and keep the setup even. By this I mean whatever setup I use in the first four shaves, I will duplicate the same with the following blades. I have a days growth going into the first shave so I'm debating on whether or not to take a day off in between blades to keep everything as fair as possible. It should be a fun little trial and I'm looking forward to being a little closer to finding the right fit.

[​IMG]

The first blade up is Feathers which I felt pretty confident in what to expect since I've used them before. I did take note that the Feathers I were use to using were platinum coated. As far as performance they seem pretty close but the platinum coated seemed smoother during the shave. Oddly the alum bit less with these other blades and I seemed to get a smoother shave...not what I was expecting at all. No complaints that I can think of so far in this blade and hopefully I can get a better shave on my neck tomorrow to redeem my lack of technique and see how they do there.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Marverel, Slow Joe, Tdmsu and 3 others like this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Pretty good list. I've had good luck with Astras, Feathers, and the Perma Sharps. Feathers are Feathers. There's no difference in any of the Feather blades, other than the packaging. They use different packaging depending on the market, the yellow or the black. All of them are coated.

Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  10. txskimo

That's weird, I swear they felt different. Does that mean there's not a lot of difference between the Gillette 7 o'clocks?

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

if your shaving every day with the R41 you might try to start with XTG and stop after two passes. I often go XTG and then ATG clean up a little and done. My skin couldn't take 4 passes every day but with the 41 you don't really have to. it cuts closer

Robyflexx and txskimo like this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Nice setup @txskimo keep us posted. Good luck buddy. :happy088:

txskimo likes this.
  13. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Geez, I was to the point of quitting my R41, but now I realize that I was mostly throwing Voskhods at it. Time for another try!

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I get good results with Voskhods in my R41 (2011). She is a little rough with any blade but the results are beautiful. Not rough, just not as wonderful as with different razors, but they don't deliver a 2 pass BBS either....

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Those do differ some. They are spread across a few different factories.

AGHisBBS and txskimo like this.
  16. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

My experience is that blades last fewer shaves with R41 than with other razors. You will probably have to swap blades before you reach fully four shaves.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I would also add KAI to your blade list. They are made in Japan, and are almost as sharp as Feathers but more smooth. KAI gives me about double the amount of shaves before I need to swap blade comparing to Feather.

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and txskimo like this.
  18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, I was going to mention that too. At least in the 2011 R41. I have no experience with the 2013 and how it does or doesn't dull a blade face. I'll get 3 out of the 2011 and the last bit of the 3rd is requires a great deal of attention sometimes, if I want my head on my shoulders at the end of the shave. One slip and it's "just a flesh wound".

txskimo likes this.
  19. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

4 days with a feather in the R41, ill be pushing this thread to my phone. :rah:

20. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I only ever load mine with Personna Platinums (Red Israeli's... Whatever you want to call them). It shaves great with them as all other legendary/well known blades...be it iridiums, etc...tend to rip up my face.