First Brush Handle

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jim99, May 12, 2017.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Okay, okay. I've been inspired by Jim @Jayaruh and very impressed with his brush making abilities. I've also been very impressed with @jimjo1031 and his brush restoration, with @twhite and the b400 and others out there that have brought old brushes back to life.

Tonight I was cleaning out my basement and found some oak that was 2"x2". Instead of tossing it out, I decided to give it a go as a brush handle. I don't have before and after pictures, so take my word for it.

I ran it over my table saw with the blade at a 22 1/2 degree angle till it was an octagon or something. I used my belt sander to round and taper. I used a dado blade to cut a groove for a handle and a forstner bit to drill the hole for the knot.

I stained it in mahogany and the first coat of poly is on there drying right now with the second coat of poly going on tomorrow. I have a 24mm Maggards synthetic knot to set in it. I'm hoping that it will have its maiden voyage on Monday.

I'll post a picture of the finished product tomorrow, but I was anxious to share my progress.

This was a learning experience, but very fun! I think I'll do a couple more!

IMG_2405.jpg

Bill G, RyX, wristwatchb and 10 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great start. I think you will only improve from here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jim99 likes this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Right on. That looks great. Once you have a few extra made. Put me on a to buy list. Hand made items to me are way better than mass produced. They have a personality.

Keep us posted.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RyX, Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That looks great. Keep up the good work.

Jim99 likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Looks good so far Jim. I really admire guys that can do woodwork. In wood shop back in the day everything I made looked like a bookend!

twhite and Jim99 like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great work. Charge!!!!!!!!

Jim99 likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looks great. Don't forget to number it. I didn't start numbering mine until #7 and by then a couple had new homes. Fabricating brushes is addictive. SBFD (Shaving Brush Fabrication Disorder) is what it is called.

jtspartan, RyX, George X and 3 others like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thanks everyone. I do have much to learn in making handles. I've already planned out my next brush and have been looking online at other brushes for inspiration for brushes 3 and 4. I might very well be developing a case of SBFD!

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Next you got to watch out for SBRD (Shaving Brush Restoration Disorder). I used my latest restoration this morning. Boy was it nice. I really like the shape. I will probably fabricate one in that shape, too. http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2017/05/heldtite-restore.html
    sod170513.jpg

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jim, I've been looking on eBay for a brush in need of restoration. I have seen a couple of restorable brushes for a good price, but haven't made that plunge yet. However, I can see me doing that.

You do excellent work and would love to see you duplicate that heldtite brush

Jayaruh, RyX and twhite like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, two coats of polyurethane are now dry and I've installed the Maggards 24mm synthetic knot. I'll probably take it on it's maiden shave on Monday. I'm pretty excited about this brush and I already have JF#2 planned out. I know this isn't much, but I'm pretty excited about it.

IMG_2409.jpg

Jayaruh, RyX, Boojum1 and 6 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Jim, it's a beauty! The mahogany stained oak looks classy. Nice work! :happy088:

Jayaruh and Jim99 like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thanks.

Jayaruh and wristwatchb like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey there now. That came out really good!!

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thanks. @Jayaruh has been my inspiration. I actually can't wait to start on #2.

16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great work Jim. That is a fine looking brush. You should be very proud of it.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nicely executed Jim! Looks good :happy088:

18. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Well done! A beauty! Enjoy!!

19. Boojum1