First Brush Restoration Under Way!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Stu929, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

So a while back I stumbled upon an Ever-Ready 100 that was blue and I thought it would be cool to restore it for the wife to go with your Blue Starburst. I still have plans to have a custom fatty brush turned for her but I still wanted to do this brush as she loves blue and asked for blue items to go with her brush.

Before - looks like hell but a good donor.
    [​IMG]
    Knot cut and drilled out, boring out the handle
    [​IMG]
    Test fit...I think this is set to high? What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    I like where this is much better! like the look and loft more like this. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Still a lot to do, need to polish it and I plan to add some weight. May open up the top a tiny bit more and need to grab some epoxy in the morning.

More to come!

BTW man is this messy as can be! I need to take a shower and flush my eyes after this. Also need to look for a different bit as this was pretty stubborn when I was trying to bore the knot out.

2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Little scrub with some scotch bright and some polish and it brightened up quickly. Think I can get the top lighter still but the stamp is fading fast so I don't want to wear that off.

Also there is what looks like a stain about the name but the more I clean it the more it looks like possibly a casting flaw in the handle.[​IMG][​IMG]

BTW its a Maggard 22mm knot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Here's a couple little tip I found works well ...

Cover (wrap) lettering with stretched electrical tape to prevent polishing off lettering.

If you want to make your lettering pop ... fill lettering in with Testor's paint, wait 20 min and polish off with folded paper so as to not pull out paint from grooves of lettering. Let it finish drying and then polish with thin cloth over finger.

Hope that makes sense.

BTW it's looking great. ;)

jimjo1031, AGHisBBS, Stu929 and 3 others like this.
  4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I was trying to avoid the lettering but that damn stain is right above it! I believe the pop they had when I started was filled with dirt.

Thanks for the tips! I'm probably going to end up weighting it with nickels they are cheaper than buying a back of bbs!

jimjo1031 and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nicely done!
    I'm sure HouseHold 6 will love it!

jimjo1031 and Stu929 like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I usually clean out lettering with old tooth brush and use paint that'll compliment brush. In your case I'd use navy blue, if on hand.
    BTW fine pea gravel also works great as weight and is usually free.

jimjo1031, AGHisBBS, Stu929 and 2 others like this.
  7. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I'm in no way shape or form in a place to even give my two cents on this topic, hit I think where you put the knot in picture 4. Aesthetically pleasing anyway (good balance between the length of the hair and the height of the brush).
    That "little scrub" you did made that brush look amazing!
    I grew with what the others have said about filling in the letter with a good deep blue and it would look perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico, Stu929 and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good restore.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

jimjo1031, Enrico and Stu929 like this.
  9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

@Enrico

Have you have any that had deeper stains or what I believe is a casting flaw? The plastic isnt as smooth there either as if when it was molded it stuck to the mold and has some folds rather than a smooth surface. It's better than when startes as ths scotch bright smooted it some but it still remains. My first thought was maybe that was where the hole was for flow into the mold but that wouldnt be very smart to put it on top of the brush and so visible.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Enrico and mrchick like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My thought is that something in the past was dribbled on it. These brushes are like people ... history has left it's marks and too much scrubbing may destroy something that still has so much beauty. I've had some, the blemishes stay forever and I consider them to have a bit more character; but others the marks of the past fade with time and use. Sun light and constant use does wonders.

I'm in the same boat with an Ever Ready 150. I want so much for the black in the top to really shine, but the damage of the past is bad enough the it will never truly shine without destroying the makers mark. So last night I resigned to set the knot and call it quits prior to ruining it.

Pardon me writing in bold ... my eyes are a little tired this morning still. :cool:

jimjo1031, mrchick and Stu929 like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looking good. Congratulations.

jimjo1031 and Stu929 like this.
  12. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

This is what I was expecting and hoping to hear! I would love to get the top to shine like some of yours in a bright creamy white but I think I'm going to stop while the brand mark remains.

I tried 20 pennys... feels too heavy. Still need some epoxy. Headed to a huge outdoor flea market today. Wish me luck!

13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Looking great!!

Douglas Carey, jimjo1031 and Stu929 like this.
  14. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Great work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I do the same but use a coffee filter.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about the colorfill but its there now. Not bad not great. Maybe I'm being to critical, def pops more.[​IMG]

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

looks good....

Douglas Carey likes this.
  18. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Do you just use friction of the paper or do you put anything on it?

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It looks good to me.:happy096:

You've seen mine, I've learn something on all of them. Sometimes it was to try harder ... sometimes I learned to quit earlier. Lettering can be funny ... it can look like it's in good shape, but it's already beat. Face the facts when you found it it was destined to a shelf or the trash bin. Now its got a new life ... you done good!:D

Douglas Carey, jimjo1031 and Stu929 like this.
  20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

While waiting for the paint to dry on try number 2 I started plishing this beauty and the knot came out in my hand! Much to my surprise and pleasure

I don't have a bunch of spare knots laying around so I just put this in to see how it looks. I think its too tall but I at least learned this will fit a 22mm with no work and I need to look for something with a little less loft. Also just off the top of my head I think a tux or silvertip would probably look pretty bad ass in this handle. I'm as always open to ideas though.[​IMG][​IMG]