First brush restoration

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Mustache, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Tons of info about cleaning out the old knot with a drill but I didn't see much on just how far to go.... Maybe I overlooked it in all the info out there but I'll ask anyway, with a picture...

I cut the old brush down with diagonal cutters, easy, then used a dremel with the router type drill bit to clean out the base. OK... How far should I go? I know I can always build back up but don't want to go further, or too far, if I don't have to. Here's the pic of where I'm at.

Good to go, buy a knot and put it in? Or there's more left, clean it out more?
    [​IMG]
    Its between 3/8" & 1/2" deep

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    PatrickA51 and americanshamrock like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The only way to know is to try it there.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. Mustache

OK.. That's what I was thinking. I thought I had read somewhere that the depth I'm at was about right but wanted to make sure.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. Mustache

OK..looks like it a 22mm knot. Being that this is my first restore, I'm wanting to go cheap on the brush, although I don't want one that won't work to my liking. With that said, I was looking at the $14 basic black badger at TGN. I have a VDH that I got at Walmart and believe it or not, I like it. Would the basic badger be comparable or better....or worse than the VDH.

If there's a better recommendation keeping the cost under $20, that would be fine also. Just wanted to keep it the least expensive for now. Next one I'll raise the stakes.

PatrickA51 and clint64 like this.
  5. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

virginiasheng on eBay has lots of inexpensive knots if you're willing to wait for the boat. Link. You can get her top quality 22mm for under $20 shipped. You can get her lower quality 22mm for under $10 shipped.

PatrickA51, clint64 and Mustache like this.
  6. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Could get a tgn boar knot for under 10$.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. Mustache

I cleaned out a second handle today. I'm going to order either tonight or tomorrow.

I'm thinking of doing the black badger and maybe one grade better. What ever is comparable to the VDH brush from Walmart would be good. Supposedly those are badger.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. Mustache

These are the knots I ordered from TGN.

Boar Hair knot 22mm 22BOAR3-11$9.95
    Pure Badger 22mm Badger hair knot P3 22PURE-P31$17.95
    Black Badger 22mm Badger Hair knot B322 B31$13.95

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. Mustache

Being that I don't have any idea how any of them behave, I got a variety. Hopefully they're all good and I like them all. I just know the original old knots didn't work at all.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Don't do anything more until you get the knot and can set it in the handle to see what else needs to be done so it will fit properly. The pure and black badgers from TGN are pretty good, but in my not so humble opinion their synthetics are a gazillion times better.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. Mustache

I'm holding off anymore cleanup until I get them. I have one handle that was originally nylon so I figured I'd put synthetic back in that one. Just need to get it cleaned out first. Nylon melts when you put a drill to it by the way..lol.. I knew that, just didn't think about it yesterday when I was on a roll with the other handles.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Looks like you are off to a great start. My first restore was a handle like yours. I removed the entire shelf
    [​IMG]

Then I used 2 nickels as a new shelf (to add weight and balance)
    [​IMG]
    Put in a 22mm TGN two band finest and
    [​IMG]
    It's been my go to brush for the last couple of years.
    Whole restoration story HERE.

13. Mustache

Awesome! Thank you. I will definitely read your restore thread and follow it.

PatrickA51 and americanshamrock like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm watching you. Good job.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. Mustache

I ordered the knots last night about 7pm and received an email that they had shipped by about 830am this morning! Wow! Hopefully I get them just as fast.

16. Mustache

OK, here's my knots from TGN. Boar, Badger B3, and Badger P3.

This is what I'm thinking for who goes in who.
    L to R... Pure badger, Black badger, and boar. I have a little clean up to do still and need to paint the hole in the clear one black, like it was originally, then I'll be mixing epoxy. So, anyone that has any other advice/recommendation, please say so.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Those will great when you finish them up.

PatrickA51 and Mustache like this.
  18. Mustache

Well... I may have more sanding to do... I thought the paint would "color" all the nooks and crannies from sanding the inside. I've got a pretty good coat, need one more, but its not "filling in" like I thought it would. Not sure if I should try one more coat or just get to sanding again to smooth out the knot hole more. Too much more sanding and I may need to order the next size larger knot though.
    [​IMG]
    By the way, the other brush looks great. Hopefully I got enough epoxy in/on it to hold good.

PatrickA51 and ObiDon like this.
  19. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the results.
    Looks great so far, I love that handle!

PatrickA51 and Mustache like this.
  20. Mustache

Thanks. This is my favorite handle and am kind of miffed that it didn't work out first run with the paint. I'm just impatient and its hard to get in there good with sandpaper and finger. Outside looks like glass though :)

Here's the other one in the mean time...
    [​IMG]

grump, PatrickA51, Drygulch and 3 others like this.