First DE Shave Gear

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Infotech, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

What were the items you used for your first shave after you found out about this new old way of shaving?

I bought all this stuff before I found any of the shave forums in existence when I started (B&B/SMF/SRP) and went mostly by Corey G's (in)famous MSNBC article...

Merkur HD
    Merkur Blade
    Saville Row 101 Pure
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender tub
    Proraso Aftershave Balm

I used it all again recently (minus the merkur blade) and got a great shave.

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I'm a little confused. The thread topic says "single edge gear" and then you list a double edge razor and a double edge blade.

I'm guessing you meant double edge. Feel free to correct me.

As for my initial setup, I had:

a Feather popular razor with a Feather blade.
    classic shaving soap
    a Vulfix boar brush
    some Gillette aftershave balm.

I don't use any of those anymore and I get a much closer and smoother shave.

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

I'm guessing he meant "Single Blade" as opposed to the multi-blade cartridges.

Infotech, my first was an aluminum tech PIFed to me by Lyrt, which was soon replaced by my grandfather's 57 Tech. I used Derbies for my first shave, and an atrocious Japanese "soap", lathered with a Tanuki Hair brush. It wasn't an auspicious start, but it lead to bigger and better things.

4. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

That's right, sorry for the confusion. I was trying to cover all bases, straight razors, double edge razors which are single bladed but have two sides.

5. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Let's see:

My Grandfather's old Gillette DE
    Old Spice mug and brush (all in my avatar)
    A can of Colgate shaving cream ;)
    Bottle of Brut aftershave

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Merkur HD
    Feather blade
    Cheap boar brush
    GFT Coconut
    Anthony Logistics aftershave cream

7. LS48

LS48 New Member

-40's-style Gillette Super Speed (Nice one from Ebay)
    -US Personna blade
    -VDH Deluxe shave soap
    -VDH boar brush

My first shave with a DE in over 35 years, recently, went extremely well, and I remember thinking how nice it felt and how much money I was going to save. Well, I had part of it right. And I'll tell you, my subsequent shaves with different soaps, creams, blades, etc. have not been worlds better... but they've certainly been more fun.

8. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

First (chuckle!!! :happy102) this may be new old age shaving for some, but some of us began shaving with this "Old" Stuff... (chuckle!!! :happy102 just can't help it)... I started shaving with a DE razor and a can of shaving cream with Mennen/Aqua Velva After Shave. A squirt of Right Guard under each arm and I was ready to go.

Now, of course, I have more shaving gear than I need and it will last several lifetimes if taken care of...

Remember, there are all ages and nationalities on this forum. I'm of the "older" persuasion.. But I mean no harm and I'm not trying to be facetious, I think your intentions were good...

Enjoy your shave... :D

9. lferg

lferg New Member

I went to Lee's Safety Razors and got the Ultimate Beginners setup...... Merkur 34c Heavy Duty Safety Razor, Vulfix 2233 Super Badger Shaving Brush, Chrome Shaving Stand, Trumpers Lavender Soap, and Derby blades. Love it!

10. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I'm gald I could give you a good laugh today :)

I meant no harm at all. It is a new way of shaving for quite a few folks around here and for others a renewal... Classic might have been a better word for it than old. :D I mean the first safety razor was created at the turn of the century ;)

11. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

My first DE shave:

Gillette Slim Adjustable (set on 3)
    Family Dollar Platinum Chrome blade (by Personna/American Safety Razor)
    The Real Shaving Co. Sensitive Skincare cream
    Burma-Shave boar brush
    Aqua Velva AS

I started wetshaving with SE razors for a few months before trying the DE. It was good practice; my first DE shave went perfectly.

Still, shaving with the 1912-type Ever-Ready is more fun.