First DE Shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by TNoahr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. TNoahr

TNoahr New Member

I did my first DE shave this morning my new butterfly safety razor came yesterday I need to order some good blades for it walgreens just doesn't have any selection of blades The shave was not to bad only three small nick a little face irration not but bad toatly differnt then the fusion:cool:

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Good job TN!!! takes practice but the results are better. There are a few places to get sample blade packages or you can just ask around and we will send you a few to try. It gets better from here:D

Raf

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Congratulations on a great start!

Keep at it, you will be rewarded :happy088

4. TNoahr

TNoahr New Member

Thanks, I'm sure it can only get better.

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

My advice is to go buy a sampler pack from either west coast shaving and/or razor anad brush. The reason for this is as a member of this forum states different people react differently to each blade. So there is no way one blade can be all things to all people. The best thing to do, IMHO, is to try as many different brands of blades as you can lay your hands on. At last count I am up to 27 different brands and I am hardly done. There are another 16 still left that I have not tried yet.

For what its worth the butterfly razor that you are working with, most likely a Gillette Super Speed, is widely acqknowledged as the best razor ever made. I did a poll on another forum about the subject and the two leaders were the Super Speed and the Merkur Heavy Duty. The Super Speed barely edged out the Heavy Duty at 50.3% of the vote.

So try as many different brands as you can. Here are some liks to get you started:

westcoastshaving.com
    http://www.razorandbrush.com/Sampler.html

6. TNoahr

TNoahr New Member

Razor

The razor I got I belive is a parker it is made in india that what it reads on the underside of the head I like it I think that it will be a good starting razor I got it from a site called amazingcity.com I'm going too put a order into westcoast shaving for a sampler pack.

7. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I agree with trying as many brands as possible, but with one caveat. Find a blade that seems to work okay for you, and then stick with that brand for a month or two until your technique is solid. You will then be able to vary brands and recognize the difference between one brand and the next. At first, though, your technique will be changing and improving rapidly, and you won't know what is the result of your changed technique and what is the result of the blade.

Once you do start trying different brands, shave a week with your current "best brand" and a week with a new brand. If the new one's better, that becomes your "best brand". Otherwise, go back to the "best brand" for a week before trying another new brand. This gives you a break from the testing and also makes it easy to compare---you compare only two brands at a time: your current best, and the new brand..

Welcome, and enjoy.

8. TNoahr

TNoahr New Member

Thanks I will try it like that.I'm also enjoying your book I'm glad I got it If there is anyone out there that has some blades that they don't care for and wanting too get rid of them I would be more than happy to help you out.:cool:

9. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

PM me with you mailing address and I'll send you a few brands to try. And thanks for you kind remarks on the book.

10. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

After your finish with Leisureguy, Pm me and let's see if there are some other brands I can send you that he may not have.

Tom